cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msimmonds
Frequent Visitor

Extracting only some cells from Excel and entering in a second workbook

Forgive me if I missed it but I have not seen anything that quite addresses my challenge and I am starting to chase myself in mental circles.

I need a flow that will look for a row of data in Excel File1 based on the contents of the cell in Column 1. 

I need the data on the entire row extracted.

I then need to enter that data, selectively, over two rows in Excel File2.  In other words, while I want to extract the whole row from File1 I do not want to simply write that row into File2.  File1 Column1 might go into File2 Column3, etc.  I see that I can use Add Row to Table and specify what goes into each column - GREAT!  But I am lost when it comes actually specifying the data from File1.

A very simple example just to illustrate the point.

File1 - what I have

Column1   Column2    Column3

Bob           Blue            Buick

File2 -  What I am trying to create

Column1     Column2   Column3    Column4    Column5

B                  Bob           NTX            Buick          Blue

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
GeoffRen
Microsoft
Microsoft

I would recommend using Office Scripts, specifically Office Scripts with Power Automate. This is the 'Run Script' action on the Excel connector. With Office Scripts you can use the 'Run Script' action to execute javascript against a workbook. So you can do nearly anything you want within Excel. I can help provide a script to start with if you want, though could you provide a larger example of the inputs and outputs?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (3,473)