Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Duchy
Level: Powered On

File approval process in SharePoint

Hi,

I am working on file approval process in SharePoint and classic SP WF is not an option (outdated and doesnt have the required functions). The other option would be to use Flow, but I cant seem to figure out how to use it propertly. The process should work like this:

• Start when Document set is created in the library (not document within the set, only the entire set)
  • Document set has metadata column "Approvers", which is list of people, that is specified during set creation.There can be any number of approvers (lets say it would be in a range 1 to 10)
  • Every approver from the list would get email with link to the document and buttons Approve / Reject.
  • Once everyone approves the set, status (metadata column) is set to approved, or to rejected in case someone rejects.
  • Within the document set metadata, there would be a column, that would store information about who approved and who rejected the set. (something like text column with text: "John Doe - Approved, Peter Smith - Approved ...")
  • Optional: once the set is approved / rejected, the approvers and author would get email about the result.

Is Flow capable of such things? I cant even figure out how to load metadata column from the document set, so I thought I would ask here so I dont burn hours on impossible tasks.

Thanks for any advice!

7 REPLIES 7
Microsoft Employee

Re: File approval process in SharePoint

cc @merwan

Flow Staff merwan
Flow Staff

Hi there,

Currently, the SharePoint connector doesn't support reading document metadata. But this is definitely high on our backlog of features to add. We plan to address this in the coming months. 

Thanks you for the feedback!

-Merwan

chasquad

How about the ability for the approval email to just contain a link to the document?  I can't seem to figure that one out.

Flow Staff merwan
Flow Staff

Hi, you can use the Link to item token that all SharePoint triggers return. For example: 

chasquad

Thanks

However, the "Link to Item" object is not availble when connecting to a SharePoint Document Library, only with a SharePoint List.  Perhaps this is a future update coming to Flow for better integration with Document Libraries (or perhaps you have a newer version of Flow in your tenant that I do).

Thanks

Flow Staff merwan
Flow Staff

To see the Link to item, there is a workaround you can employ. Use one of the list triggers (e.g. When an item is created) and simply type in the word Documents for the List name. This will pull in the existing column metadata for your document library and include the Link to item attribute. For example:

Pic1.png

If you need to connect to another document library in your site. Navigate to the document library and select a particular document. Click on the Flow button and choose Create a flow. Select one of the templates from the right side pane, e.g. Complete a custom action for the selected file. This will open a new template in the Flow website. Simply copy the List Name of your document library and paste it into the SharePoint triggers/actions in your Flow.

Pic2.pngPic3.png

chasquad

Perfect!  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Flow Online Conference

Join us for a FULL day of FREE Microsoft Flow Sessions from some of the best minds in the industry!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 170 members 4,399 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: