cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Domin
Level: Powered On

File is locked for exclusive use by ...

Hi All

I have a flow which has 6 approval steps that work step by step. There is no loops, it updates the properties of the file after each approval.

Issue is that if someone receives the approval, click on the link to file, edits what they need to edit and then leave it open while clicking approve. It throws an error saying -  "file name" is locked for exclusive use by "user". 

Is there any work around for this ? Surely the files can be worked on at the same time with office online ?

Thanks All

Dom

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: File is locked for exclusive use by ...

Hi @Domin,

Is this a local file? If it is, the file will be locked after the file edit in the past several minutes. As a workaround, you can add a delay action after each approval action, to make the system have time to release the file.

If you use the office online, it can be edit at the same time.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Domin

The file is online, but the flow fails on "update file properties" if its opened by another use. Even myself. It doesnt like when the file is open and the flow get to update the properties. 

I wonder if this is a glitch ?

Is there a way to check if locked or unlock file by force ?!

Dom

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Domin,

You can use the Check-out and Check-in actions to have a test.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Domin

I have tried that, i tried to wrap the update properties action between check out and check in but it still fails. 

Not sure what else i can do

Highlighted
ciaolei1
Level: Power Up

Same issue.  Did you get a solution for it?

Domin

Not yet, there are workarounds using variables butthats when you have about 2 approvals, i have 6 and that would become a monster i reckon ! 

@ciaolei1 wrote:

Same issue.  Did you get a solution for it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,314)