cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colonel_claypoo
Level: Powered On

Filter array action to filter on choice field with checkboxes (allow multiple selections)?

Hello,

is it possible to for the filter array action to filter on a choice field that uses checkboxes (allow multiple selections)?

So far I can't get it to work, only if the choice field type is 'Drop-Down Menu'.

Here's the error message:

2.png

And here's the action:

1.png

I want to check if the type field is equal to the value of 'News' for a choice field with checkboxes (allow multiple selections).

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Filter array action to filter on choice field with checkboxes (allow multiple selections)?

11 REPLIES 11
Super User
Super User

Re: Filter array action to filter on choice field with checkboxes (allow multiple selections)?

Have you tried using contains rather than equals?

JamesReames
Level: Power Up

This is a fun one!

So checkboxes give their Selected Value, not as a single value, but as an array.

What this means in pseudo: [Value] looks more like ['News':true], ['Option 2: false], [option 3: false], [option 4: false]

You may be able to do an "Apply to Each" on the Checkbox. . And inside of that apply to each check if the items('Apply_to_each')?['Value'] equals 'News'

2018-11-26_10-44-36.png

colonel_claypoo

Yes, same error, unfortunately.

chrome_2018-11-27_07-09-40.png

colonel_claypoo

[deleted, duplicate post]

colonel_claypoo

@JamesReames wrote:

This is a fun one!

So checkboxes give their Selected Value, not as a single value, but as an array.

What this means in pseudo: [Value] looks more like ['News':true], ['Option 2: false], [option 3: false], [option 4: false]

You may be able to do an "Apply to Each" on the Checkbox. . And inside of that apply to each check if the items('Apply_to_each')?['Value'] equals 'News'

2018-11-26_10-44-36.png

Thanks. I'm trying to comprehend. How would I be able to run the "Apply to each" on the checkboxes only? Currently, the filter action acts upon 
body('GetRegisteredUsers')?['value'] which is a SharePoint list in which "Type" is a column that contains the options "News" and "Alerts".

Super User
Super User

colonel_claypoo

Hi Pieter,

very cool. I've been following your blog for a while now. Always good stuff.

I'm playing around with this but I'm stuck at the very last step where you described using a switch inside the apply to each loop. My first though was why not use a condition.

In my case I don't need to perform a different action for each choice und rather check if a vertain choice is matched.

Therefore, I wanted to try using a condition instead of a switch. To my astonishment the condition always evaluates to false:

chrome_2018-11-28_12-54-46.png

Execution result:

chrome_2018-11-28_12-58-00.png

I also tried wrapping the 1 in quotes but to no avail.

Any idea why the condition always evaluates to false?

Thanks!

Super User
Super User

I'm not sure.

I just tried this:

worked.PNG

And it worked as expected. Could it be thast you choice options have an 'invisible' space?

Maybe check in SharePoint the field values. Or otherwise use a Trim(...) function to clear the spaces if there are any.

colonel_claypoo

I've just experimented further. It seems that as soon as the multi-value checkbox field contains only numbers it doesn't work. When I copy your terms, i.e. Choice 1, Choice 2, Choice 3 it works. But by using only 1,2,3 the condition always evaluates to false. Can you confirm? Should just be a quick change on your side. Thanks.

Super User
Super User

I got the same.

In you condition can you replace

with 

string(1)

Using the string expression you will force Flow to make a string comparison rather than a number comparison.
colonel_claypoo

That seems to be it! This works. More confirmation that only string comparisons work in this scenario is that even for the Switch in the Case the number 1 has to be wrapped in quotes in order for it to work.

chrome_2018-11-28_15-41-10.png

Thanks a lot for confirming, you've been extremely helpful.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 67 members 3,736 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: