Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msabau
Advocate III
Advocate III

Finding out which column have changed

Hello,

I have a SP list with roughly 280 fields and I need to find out which field or its value have changed.

The items are updated through a powerapp, but I believe that I should be using powerautomate to solve my problem.

I would like to store the name of the column that has changed somewhere, perhaps in another column.

I've seen that there's a powerautomate action that returns a boolean if the column has changed. Thing is, that doing it for 280 fields would be a massive pain in the butt.

I'd like to know if there's something that simply returns the columns that have changed and maybe the values too.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is nothing that returns a list of fields that have changed.  As the OP mentioned there is an action that will return a true/false value for each field specifying whether it has changed or not.  But that requires checking the value for each field.  There isn't an array of field names for the ones that have changed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Sundeep_Malik
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey @msabau 

Use When an item or file is modified action.

After this use get item action and in the ID option add ID field from the above action.

This will give you which item in the SP List was modified.

Sundeep_Malik_0-1663591834297.png

I hope this helps.

And how would I get what fields/columns have changed?

Sundeep_Malik
Community Champion
Community Champion

@msabau 

Its not possible to know which value changed in the row. It will just tell this row was modified.

Sundeep_Malik
Community Champion
Community Champion

So it seems there's no way to return only the names of the columns that were updated

Sundeep_Malik
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Pstork1 

Any solutions for this?

Found this, it seems to be wroking pretty well, it's a little bit dated, so you might want to make a couple of changes. I'm implemening it as we speak

Capture SharePoint List Item Changes Like Version ... - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

There is nothing that returns a list of fields that have changed.  As the OP mentioned there is an action that will return a true/false value for each field specifying whether it has changed or not.  But that requires checking the value for each field.  There isn't an array of field names for the ones that have changed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

I did that and I filtered the array to only return the values that were changed, which is what I wanted. If I had seen that option earlier I wouldn't have even started this thread, but it was buried under 280 fields. Thank you for your reply

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (1,115)