cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryu
Frequent Visitor

Flow Being Stuck during large amount of concurrent runs

I have a flow that uses Microsoft Forms as a trigger. The flow is about sending an email when meeting certain conditions and then saving the form submission in a Sharepoint list. The whole flow usually only takes 2-4 seconds when ran successfully. However, due to a large amount of users submitting a form recently (especially at the start of office hours), some flow runs become stuck at a step that doesn't usually take time to finish (initialize variable, compose, etc.). The flow run is still said to be "Running" when viewing in the run history. When "Running" flows reaches a certain number, the flow now won't run the next form submissions. This flow works perfectly fine at the rest of the time aside from the start of office hours. 

Ryu_0-1621561777407.png

This is the usual look on how it becomes stuck at "Running".

Ryu_1-1621561816952.png

One workaround that I have done to prevent the flow from running for a long time is to set a parallel delay timer at the start and automatically terminate the flow if it reaches X seconds to finish (as seen above). However, the flow sometimes also gets stuck at the delay part, running for more than the set X seconds and not proceeding to terminate the flow. I have also done setting different degrees of parallelism on the concurrency of the flow trigger, but still having the same problem. 

My solution for this is manually cancelling the "Running" flow runs and resubmitting them one by one during office hours. I know this is an issue on Automate's processing capabilities, but is there any way to automatically cancel these long running runs and still allow other succeeding flow runs to run without being stuck? It's fine to have failed runs, just as long as the runs don't get stuck.

Thanks. -Ryu

1 REPLY 1
AnthonyAmador
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Ryu 

Based on that the issue is only happening at the start of the working hours, you are probably having a throttling problem, so canceling the flow that are running to allow other flows run its not viable, you will end up with the same problem because is not a problem of the specific flow running in the moment, it's more a throttling limit issue. 

Check out this guide on how to troubleshot slow-running flows, hope this helps you to find a workaround or best practices for designing your flow to avoid this kind of problems.
Troubleshooting Slow Running Flows (microsoft.com)

Also in the Analytics tab in your flow you can check how many times it is running. 

Hope this helps you. 

Regards. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Carousel April Dunnam Updated 768x460.jpg

Urdu Hindi D365 Bootcamp

Dont miss our very own April Dunnam’s The Developer Guide to the Galaxy! Find out what the Power Platform has to offer for the traditional developer.

Users online (2,802)