cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thyestes
Level: Powered On

Flow: Compose can't seem to get the right syntax

Hello,

I'm trying to create a flow to import an Excel sheet into a Sharepoint list. My Excel contains a date column, but that is formatted as a string and not in the right (M/D/YYYY) format so that Sharepoint understands the input. I added a compose action to convert my current format dd-mm-YYYY to M/D/YYYY, but whatever I try I do not seem to get the right syntax. I tried several methods, so I hope someone can point me to the right one.

I tried:

Input:

"@formatDateTime(body('Get_row')['@{items('Apply_to_each_3')?['Einddatum']}'],'M/D/YYYY')"

Error:

The template validation failed: 'The template action 'Einddatum' at line '1' and column '1592' is not valid: "Unable to parse template language expression 'formatDateTime(body('Get_row')['@{items('Apply_to_each_3')?['Einddatum']}'],'M/D/YYYY')': expected token 'RightSquareBracket' and actual 'Identifier'.".'.

Input:
"@split(triggerBody()['@{items('Apply_to_each_3')?['Einddatum']}'], "-")'"

Ouput:

"@split(triggerBody()['31-12-2006'], "-")'"

Input:

"@split(@items('Apply_to_each_3')?['Einddatum'], "-")"

Output:

"@split(@items('Apply_to_each_3')?['Einddatum'], "-")"

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
thyestes

Re: Flow: Compose can't seem to get the right syntax

I finally managed to get this working. Apparently you have to create multiple compose actions to achieve this.

The flow now looks like this:

image.pngimage.png

It would be much easier to tell Sharepoint what the input format is (like: dd-mm-yyyy) and let it store it the way it wants.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ thyestes,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Do you want to insert the value of “Date” in your excel to a “Date” column in the sharepoint list?

Firstly, when insert value to the “Date” column in the sharepoint list, the action “Create item” of shareponit connector could convert the “Date” with type “dd-mm-YYYY” to type “MM/dd/yyyy” automatically.

I have made a test on my side, the screenshots  of my excel table as below:

1.png

You could choose the “Date” dynamic content of the “Get rows” action as screenshots below:

2.png

The flow would run successfully as screenshots below:

3.png

And an item would be created in the sharepoint list as below:

4.png

Secondly , if you would like to convert the value  of “Date” in your excel before the action “Create item” ,you could refer to workaround below:

5.png

The difference of the second flow with the first flow:

1. Add a Compose, choose the “Date”dynamic content of the “Get rows”action in the Inputs field of the “Compose”.
  2. Fill in the “duedate” field of the “Create item” action with expression below:

formatDateTime(outputs('Compose'),'MM/dd/yyyy')

The flow would run successfully as screenshots below:

6.png

The second item would be created in the sharepoint list as below:

7.png

You could learn more about the Workflow Definition Language refer to link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/logic-apps/logic-apps-workflow-definition-language

Regards,
Alice Zhang

thyestes

Hi @v-yuazh-msft

Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately the the column in Excel is not formatted as date. If it was it would make things much easier, but the Excel file is a dump form another system and the date column is formatted as 'general'. My approach was to split the string into 3 arrays and then format it in the correct way using concat. The 'Einddatum' is a string with 'dd-mm-yyyy' but unfortunately I cannot get the right syntax.

This is my flow:

image.png

image.png

thyestes

I finally managed to get this working. Apparently you have to create multiple compose actions to achieve this.

The flow now looks like this:

image.pngimage.png

It would be much easier to tell Sharepoint what the input format is (like: dd-mm-yyyy) and let it store it the way it wants.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,244)