Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Pariksheet
Level: Powered On

Flow Creation API Does it exist?

Hi,

In my organisation we are thinking of running a mini project for trying to replace existing Nintex workflows with microsoft flow, I being a fan of automation was wondering if there is an API to generate a flow which I can use in my custom tool, built to read nintex workflow actions and generate a new flow with equivalent actions? Is this a realistic possibility with current flow setup

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Flow Creation API Doe it exist?

Hi @Pariksheet

You could use the json used by Logic Apps instead. You could consider converting the Nintex Flows to Flow, but I would be very surprised if you could do that quicker than just rewriting the Flows. 

A couple of reasons for this:

1. Nintex is triggered by SharePoint events, where Flow could be triggered by anything ( well at least a lot of things). Therefore why restrict yourself.

2. The triggers are very different, the actions are different not much will be a 1:1 match

3. In nintex you had a web service call. Now you could use the HTTP call in Flow, but why not use one of the connectors when that is relevant.

I'm sure there will be some tools out there (soon), but I would question if you get the right Flows. I have found the way you develop the process in Flow even more important than in Nintex or SharePoint Designer.

Of course, a two step workflow can easily be migrated to flow using a migration tool but when things become more complicated I'm not sure if it will be easy to generate something that will work.

Pariksheet
Level: Powered On

Re: Flow Creation API Doe it exist?

Hi Pieter,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I will check how well logic apps can be integrated with sharepoint triggers, I agree that there might not be a 1:1 match but the idea was to build an offilene map between commonly used actions and use this to create equivalent flows. If there is an API existing I can play around a little bit and sort of test the feasibility.

Of-course we dont want to restrict ourselves with flow but as nintex applies only to sharepoint, having flow equivalent for these cases makes sense.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Flow Creation API Does it exist?

Hi @Pariksheet,

Do you want to create a flow (Microsoft Flow) based on the Flow Creation API?

Thanks for your feedback, the Creation API is not supported in Microsoft Flow currently, if you would like this Creation API to be supported in Microsoft Flow, please sjubmit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

I agree with @Pieter_Veenstra's thought almost, if you want to create a workflow based on creation API, you could consider take a try with Azure Logic Apps. The Azure Logic Apps support creating and managing a workflow based on a Rest API. More details about Workflow Management REST API of Azure Logic Apps, please check the following article:

Workflow Management REST API

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,270)