Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cfebvre
Level: Powered On

Flow - For a selected Document, Create Wordpress Post - Help

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone out there may have a solution for what I am attempting vis-a-vis turning a Sharepoint document library .docx file into a Wordpress post, or at least let me know if such a thing could be possible.

I've run into one major issue, and one strange behaviour regarding Flow.

Below is the Flow I've created and the resultant Wordpress post it generates.

The flow I've set up:

Sharepoint Post Story to Wordpress Test_001.JPG

The resultant Post created in Wordpress:

Wordpress Story.JPG

As you can see, the text which is imported into Wordpress is encrypted and/or otherwise not readable by Wordpress. 

I suspect I may first need to convert the docx file content into html, but I'm unsure how I would go about this, or even if such a thing is possible in Flow.

The other, lesser issue is the fact that Flow automatically adds an 'Apply to Each' control when I select the dynamic content for the 'Tags' field in the 'Wordpress - Create Post' action. This has the effect of generating an identical Wordpress post for each keyword tag applied to the document in Sharepoint - which seems like very bizarre behaviour, even if I could get the content to display correctly.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Is the Wordpress - Create Post action not intended to generate a post from Sharepoint content?

Or is it simply a case that, given the Wordpress Connector is in a 'preview' state, it's not working correctly yet?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Flow - For a selected Document, Create Wordpress Post - Help

Hi @cfebvre,

I have some updates for you.

It is expected. When you get a file from SharePoint, you are getting a binary of the file. Decoding the file requires specific decoding logic depending on the file type.

For example, word files can be decoded primarily by Microsoft Word.

The SharePoint connector cannot really under different file types and its content.

Hope this makes sense.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @cfebvre,

Thanks for feedback.

The issue could be reproduced by me. I will help report it and back to you later.

About the issue on Apply to each, I am afraid that it is a default behavior. An apply to each will be added for each item when selecting value from multiple items.

Best regards,

Mabel

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
cfebvre

Hi Mabel,

Thanks for the response, I'll wait to hear back from you.

Re: the 'Apply to Each' issue, I suspect I must have to assign different dynamic content to add muliple tags to Wordpress based on the tags assigned for the managed metadata field in Sharepoint. I'll try and work it out.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @cfebvre,

I have some updates for you.

It is expected. When you get a file from SharePoint, you are getting a binary of the file. Decoding the file requires specific decoding logic depending on the file type.

For example, word files can be decoded primarily by Microsoft Word.

The SharePoint connector cannot really under different file types and its content.

Hope this makes sense.

Best regards,

Mabel

View solution in original post

cfebvre

Thanks Mabel,

Yes, that does make sense.

Thanks for the clarification.

Through further tesing I've been able to see that a raw text file (.txt) can indeed be sent to Wordpress and interpreted correctly via the flow I've set up (complete with body content, heading, and tags). This is one potential avenue that users could pursue if they are looking to use Sharepoint as their primary content management system (with Wordpress acting as a secondary portal).

The downside of converting documents to text is that you lose much of the editing capabilities that Sharepoint allows when working with Word documents.

I'm currently investigating a method by which Flow could convert a Word document into a text file (or maybe html), and then send that text file to Wordpress - allowing users to type and edit their articles in Word within the Sharepoint environment, but when it comes time to ship that content to Wordpress, Wordpress will be able to interpret it.

To that end, I notice the Word connector in Flow is lacking in features, and I'll be requesting that the Word connector contains triggers and actions such as "When a Word document is modfied, save file as... .txt .rtf etc. 

Such an automated action is already acheivable using macros in Word itself, so I could see it might be possible in Flow.

Cheers. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,164)