cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EllanReddy
Regular Visitor

Flow: Multi-level Approval

Team,

I need to build a multi-level approval flow (A, B, C) on one of the SharePoint Online list. The flow need to route to the next approver (B) only after current approver (A) approved. To C when B is approved. Flow need to stop oin first rejection.

Of the different approval types available (see below), which of the default one can be applied in this scenario? Or do I need to build a custom flow?

• Approve/Reject - Everyone must approve
  • Approve/Reject - First to respond
  • Custom reponses - Wait for all responses
  • Custom reponses - Wait for one response

Additionally, I would need to Set Reminders once per week.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You would need three Start and Wait for Approvals all set to "First to Respond".  After each approval you would check to see if its approved and only send the next approval if it is.  If not you would just fall through to the end of the flow.

image.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You would need three Start and Wait for Approvals all set to "First to Respond".  After each approval you would check to see if its approved and only send the next approval if it is.  If not you would just fall through to the end of the flow.

image.png

@Pstork1  That's exactly I thought to layout. How about setting the reminder?

Reminders have to go in a parallel branch.  The problem is you can't have a parallel branch inside a condition.  So you would have to actually send the approvals and do the reminders on the main flow.  But inside the parallel branches for the approval and the reminder you would use a condition based on a variable to decide whether to do that step or not.  Its doable, but a bit more complex.

RezaDorrani
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @EllanReddy ,

Check out my flow approvals playlist which includes multiple scenarios for building approval flows.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTyFh-qDKAiFUGTtwSwFT79Y7_jq_Aipe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

@Pstork1  Does this process allow Power Automate flow to run beyond 30 days on item?

No.  Flow instances always timeout after 30 days.  To have an individual approval run for more than 30 days you have to time it out and restart it.

@RezaDorrani , thanks for all the VT clips posted on youtube, which helps me a lot with Powerapps and Power flow development,

I have a requirement that for the multiple approvers using Power automate, 

Currently, I have a SharePoint list with people and a group column, For each item submission, there will be different multiple people Approvers will be added on the Items.

I have tried to create a flow using https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_FUeRjgg4&list=PLTyFh-qDKAiFUGTtwSwFT79Y7_jq_Aipe&index=7&t=507s guide, but it's not working correctly, since I don't have an additional list for fixed Approvers, since my requirement approvers keep changing based on items selected by the user,  can you please suggest me to creating a multiple approvals flows using the same SP list people column.

Added pic column for ref.

sunil_stryker_0-1636380329956.png

Thanks

Sunil

GBM2021

I

Hi @RezaDorrani @Pstork1 ,

I'm also in similar situation but I'm looking for a solution which uses Microsoft Forms instead of SharePoint list. How do i setup multi-approver flow? 

Appreciate your help please!

Thanks!

Microsoft Forms can be used to collect information, but they don't really have data storage behind them.  So you'll need something like SharePoint, Excel, or Dataverse to store the state of the approval between stages of approval.  Then email the next form to the person who does the next step in the approval process.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,847)