cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeesaB
Regular Visitor

Flow Not Triggering

Hi,

I have a SharePoint based flow that triggers on 'When a file is created (properties only)'.  When I test by adding a new doc to the library, the flow triggers and runs successfully.  When others test, the flow does not trigger.

Is there a step I'm missing that allows the flow to trigger for other users?  (FYI - I have confirmed the testers and myself have the same permissions in SharePoint.)

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @tom_riha,

I was able to find a solution...  I changed the trigger condition from When a file is created, to When a file is created or modified.  Now, when a user checks in their file the flow will trigger.  I had to build in conditions to prevent looping, but that was easily accomplished.

Thanks so much for the information you shared. I truly appreciate the support!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tom_riha
Super User II
Super User II

Hello @LeesaB ,

did you give the flow a few minutes to start? The trigger 'When a file is created (properties only)' has recurrence 5 minutes, so it might take up to 5 minutes for the flow to start.

Automated flows don't need to be shared with other users (unlike instant flows).

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]
LeesaB
Regular Visitor

Hi @tom_riha , thanks for your reply!

I wasn't aware of the 5 minute recurrence, thank you for sharing.  I don't think this is my issue though.  The testers added their docs - which should have triggered the flow - and left them there to process, but they never did.

I did more testing and discovered.....   The libraries are set to "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited."  So when a new doc is add it is automatically checked out. Again, the flow triggers and runs when I add a new doc, but not when anyone else does.

I changed the setting to NO (checkout not required) and the tester was able to successfully trigger the flow.  Which leads me to think that for some reason PA is not "seeing" the doc while it's checked out because it's not me - the flow owner/SharePoint connection - who added it.  Any thoughts on how to get around this?  I don't think my business will agree to not require check out for editing.

Also, I noticed that when the tester added the new doc (not requiring check-in) and the flow ran, the version history shows the testers name on the initial version, then my name on the version updated by the flow.  I assume this is because the flow uses my SharePoint connection, but would rather have the users name in the history instead of mine.  Any advice?

Hello @LeesaB ,

that's correct, if the file is not checked in the flow will not start. The flow is running using your connection, if you can't see the file then the flow can't see the file. If it's a business decision that users must check in the files then I don't think there's any way around it. Until the file is checked in nobody can see it, except the user who did the upload.

When you're running automatically started flow then it'll always use the same connection (yours in this case).  It's not possible to change the connection dynamically, unless you use manually started flow, then you could configure it to run using the user credentials.

Another option would be to get a separate account only for Power Automate and use that account's connection in the flow, but I don't know if that's an option in your organization.

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

Hi @tom_riha,

I was able to find a solution...  I changed the trigger condition from When a file is created, to When a file is created or modified.  Now, when a user checks in their file the flow will trigger.  I had to build in conditions to prevent looping, but that was easily accomplished.

Thanks so much for the information you shared. I truly appreciate the support!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (61,124)