cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techuvise
Level: Powered On

Flow Synchronization Issue

I’m having flow synchronization issue.  I search for a record from a list and create it if it does exist.  When this flow is called multiple times, there is an error. While the first flow is still running, the other flows do not know the record is already being created by the first flow.  This results in the other flows creating duplicates of the same record.

So, is there a way to synchronize the multiple flows similar to a mutex locking method?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Flow Synchronization Issue

Hi @techuvise 

There is no locking mechanism in Flow by design

You would have to create a pattern to achieve it based on your requirement

What is triggering your fLOW?

Would it be possible to trigger your flow on a scheudle, and that one flow run handles all your item additions, that ways you wont run into lock issues

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

techuvise

Thank you for your response @RezaDorrani.

In my scenario I don’t think I will be able to have one flow handle all item additions.

Currently my flow is triggered whenever a "schedule record" is created (different from the “distinct location record” that is being created in the flow).

There are two types of records that are involved in this flow. The schedule record has the date, location, and other information needed for that day and location. The other record is the distinct location record. The flow I am working on is populating the distinct locations.

Once a user creates a schedule record, the flow starts and checks to see if the location in the schedule already exists in the distinct locations. If not, a new distinct location is created.

Since I want to have this update whenever any schedule record is created, I don’t think I can make one flow update all items.

Is there any other way I can accomplish this while still updating after each schedule record is created?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @techuvise ,

Perhaps a more straightforward approach is to add a field that is not empty and has a unique value to the List or set a field that already exists to a field with a unique value.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
techuvise

Can you explain this a little more?  Are you suggesting basically implementing a locking mechanism?

What I'm thinking is to have a field in another entity (act as the lock variable) which the flow will check before going into the part of the flow that check if this field exist in the table.  Subsequently, it will unlock this "lock variable" once it is done.  This way other flows will know by this "lock variable" if another flow is already checking this field or not.

Would that work or are you suggesting a simpler ways to implement this locking mechanism.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,400)