cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vartika
Frequent Visitor

Flow Trigger Polling based or trigger based?

I have a question regarding the flow triggers. These triggers are polling based or event trigger based. For example- i have created a flow which has a trigger - 'When an item is created in SharePoint list'. Does this trigger polls for the changes in the list or its even driven that whenever a new item is created in a list, it fires the flow? And does it differ based on how i create flow like creating directly from sharepoint list or creating in flow portal?

3 REPLIES 3
AlanPs1
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Vartika 

There are 2 trigger actions

"When an item is created" = Triggers only on item creation

"When an item is created or modified" = Triggers when an item is created as new or an existing item is modified.

If you are looking to "poll for changes" in the list you would use "When an item is created or modified" or if you just want the Flow to start on new items created but not modifications to existing items then use "When an item is created".

It shouldn't matter where you start from, i.e. SharePoint or Flow as clicking the links from SharePoint take you to Flow anyway, although you get template suggestions en route. I find it easier and more logical for these things to just start in Flow, set the Trigger, hook it up to the list you want and press on from there. You may find the oposite, try both perhaps.

I hope that helps you get started and just dive right in really!

If you have found my post helpful, please mark thumbs up.

If this post has solved your problem, please click "Accept as Solution".

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks, Alan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Vartika
Frequent Visitor

Is it same for Logic App as well?
'when an item is created' is trigger based
'when an item is created or modified' is polling based ?
AlanPs1
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Vartika 

I see you posted what I think is the same question here - https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Flow-Discussion/Flow-Trigger-Polling-based-or-trigger-ba...

I echo what Scott says and I had not seen his reply initially. I haven't had the need to theorise this anymore technically than these triggers run practically right away based on a creation or modification where appropriate.

Here is a link to the connector and triggers reference - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/sharepointonline/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/sharepointonline/#triggers

Maybe another user or a member of the Flow Team can be more specific but this is the only information I have and use.

Thansk, Alan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,098)