cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gaëlle
Level 8

Flow and SharePoint : Send Email with Attachment - unreadable Attachment's content

Hello fellow flowers !

I am currently building a flow, which you've already seen before : When an item is created whithin a certain Sharepoint List,

I get the elements and the files attached and then send an email (I just have more operations in the way because I get elements from another list to retrieve the good email to send it).

I've followed Laura Roggers' video on How to get and send attachments

Everything is working, my Flow is sending the emails....

BUT the attachment are corrupted.

Here are some scrrenshots on How I get the attachments from the list :

When an item is created, Get Attachments

flow01-getElement.png

For each attachment, get attachment content

flow02-getAttachmentContent.png

Then, send an email (I don't really know why it has looped here, buecause, that is absolutely silly, it is sending me the same email twice, but each with a different attachment -if i have multiple attachments on my item)

flow03-sendEmail.PNG

Here is the actionOutput i'm putting into "Attachment's body/Content"

flow03-sendEmail02.PNG

Now, as i said, the flow is working well, it is sending emails, and the attachments are attachedµ. The only BIG problem is that the attachments are corrupted and nothing can open them.

Here is he contentBytes I got when i test, it is a really weird format !

flow04-contentBytesWrong.PNG

So, do you know :

- How to attach several attachments to a single email ?

- How to get the Attachment content format good to have correct and valid attachments in my emails ?

Thanks a lot ! Smiley Happy

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Gaëlle
Level 8

Re: Flow and SharePoint : Send Email with Attachment - unreadable Attachment's content

Hello !

A little feedback with the solution !

So, thanks to @ScottShearer, I've been able to get my attachment without it being corrupted !

Only, this works for one attachment only : the HasAttachments column is strangely set to "false" when there is more than one object attached to the list item.

Then, I had to adapt this solution to work for several attachments.

I found Sunay Vaishnav,'s solution which did not work, because the email server responded everytime with a 400 error "No input parameters provided. Please provide required input parameters 'To', 'Subject' and 'Body' ".  Fortunately, you can find the right solution to this little bug in the comment, thanks to

So, here is my full flow :

flow-solution.PNG

flow-solution02.PNG

I hope this will help someone, thanks to @ScottShearer and all the flow community !

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Flow and SharePoint : Send Email with Attachment - unreadable Attachment's content

Hey all

To clarify on this you should use the expression something like this:

body('Create_file_content').$content

Where in the body is the name of your step where you get the file content out of.

Then it creates an expression and you should be good to go.

attachmentArray.PNG

For those who want to know how to send multiple attachment in one Flow, you could @ me in a new thread or you could search the community how to do it. There are multiple threads covering this piece.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

13 REPLIES 13
Super User
Super User

Here is a solution that should work for you.  I haven't watched Laura Rogers video, but it was likely created before some new SharePoint attachment features were added.

My solution uses the Get Attachments action and the Get Attachment Content action inside of a loop.

I tested the solution below and was able to open the documents from my email - they are not corrupt.

I do not know of a method to add more than one attachment to an email unless the attachments are specified in advance and hard coded into the Flow.

Attach1.jpgAttach2.jpgAttach3.jpg

If this solves your issue, please mark your question as solved.

If you have additional questions, please post here.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ScottShearer,

Have you take a try with @ScottShearer's solution?

The solution is works.

Please take a try with @ScottShearer's solution to achieve your requirement.

Best regards,

Alice

Gaëlle
Level 8

Hi @ScottShearer !

Thanks a lot for your tip, it is not the global solution but still a big improvement !

I'll try to update it to my requirements and update my answers/solution.

But if any of you have an idea to send multiple attachments into one solo email, I'll be glad to hear it !

Thanks a lot !

Gaëlle
Level 8

Hello !

A little feedback with the solution !

So, thanks to @ScottShearer, I've been able to get my attachment without it being corrupted !

Only, this works for one attachment only : the HasAttachments column is strangely set to "false" when there is more than one object attached to the list item.

Then, I had to adapt this solution to work for several attachments.

I found Sunay Vaishnav,'s solution which did not work, because the email server responded everytime with a 400 error "No input parameters provided. Please provide required input parameters 'To', 'Subject' and 'Body' ".  Fortunately, you can find the right solution to this little bug in the comment, thanks to

So, here is my full flow :

flow-solution.PNG

flow-solution02.PNG

I hope this will help someone, thanks to @ScottShearer and all the flow community !

HideonBush
Level: Powered On

Hi Gaëlle ,

I also encountered the same problem, the same flow, "the email server responded everytime with a 400 error "No input parameters provided. Please provide required input parameters 'To', 'Subject' and 'Body' ". But now Vytenis Jazbutis's article can't be accessed, could you tell me how you solved it?

Ola

I have a slightly different but similar problem. My implemention is different, many branches of my flow require adding an attachments to the email. So I generalise email attachment as a child flow I call through http. I experienced the issue with the returned http response. The solution, I have come up with uses a select data operation on the return body. And then for the ContentBytes. I wrap this up in this expression coalesce(base64(item()?['ContentBytes'])) the essential bit is the base64  function around ContentBytes this is essential for email attachments as emphasized in this ignite 2017 session (about 55min mark). But for some odd reason when I save the flow and return to it, the base64 function disappears so I found that wrapping it in coalesce fixed the issue for.

Gaëlle
Level 8

Hi @HideonBush !

Sorry for the late answer !

Strange that you can't access Sunay Vaishnav's article, because I can. Here is the full URL : https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/multiple-attachments-single-email/ And under it, you'll find all the discussion with Vytenis Jazbutis , especially this comment http://disq.us/p/1pjv8ke which will help you. I've attached my whole process in my solution post (here : https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Flow-and-SharePoint-Send-Email-with-Attachment-un... ) for support. I know it's in french, but you can easily translate french with goole's translate tool Smiley Wink

If you need more help, do not hesitate Smiley Wink

Gaëlle
Level 8

Hi @Ola,

I'm very interested by your solution, I did not know about coalesce, and it seems to have a really odd behavior !

Thanks for sharing it with us Smiley Wink

eopara

Hi... Kindly add the link to the comment in this post too...

Charles-v-D

hi Scott,

your solution sends a mail for each attachement, but I like the mail to have all attachements in a single go.

I'm very new to MS Flow, hope you can help me in "simple speak"?

Thank you

Regards

Charles

Charles-v-D

Bonjour Gaëlle,

Can you please help me? I can't find the $content element you have in the "append into Array" element.. where do I find this or how do I build this in expressions editor?

I'm very new to this so please use simple steps? Smiley Happy

Thank you

A+

Charles

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hey all

To clarify on this you should use the expression something like this:

body('Create_file_content').$content

Where in the body is the name of your step where you get the file content out of.

Then it creates an expression and you should be good to go.

attachmentArray.PNG

For those who want to know how to send multiple attachment in one Flow, you could @ me in a new thread or you could search the community how to do it. There are multiple threads covering this piece.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Charles-v-D

Hi @Tom_Slosse 

I agree, my flow collects all attachements like this:

att1.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 137 members 4,558 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: