cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smorley
Level: Powered On

Flow and SharePoint lookup fields

I have calendar list in SharePoint, Flow pictured below.  It uses a lookup field "Email Body", that grabs the standard language for different calendar events, to reduce the repetition of typing the same message for each item.

flowlookup.jpg

When I use Flow, cannot see the name of the field listed in Dynamic Content.  List of Dynamic Content skips right by "Email Body", pictured below.

Any help would be, as always, appreciated.

emailbodyflow.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Flow and SharePoint lookup fields

Hi @smorley I've got this working in the following way:

I have a list within SharePoint which contains my email body text. It has two fields, the title and then the email body.

EmaiList.PNG

I then have another list, called Master List, which contains a lookup column called MailText. This lookup column is configured to look up to the other list using the Title field. When this field is submitted within SharePoint, it will hold two pieces of information in the list: ID and Title.

MasterList.PNG

Now when I come to my Flow, I have used a "When item is created or modified" trigger which will give me the list item from Master List. What that will give me within the dynamic text is a field called MailText Id, which if you remember is part of the data stored within the lookup field.

FlowPt1.PNG

From there I need to make a call to the list containing the actual email body as so far I only have the ID. So I will now use Get Item, using the MailText ID to retrieve the list item from the other list.

This action will then allow me to use the mutliline text field within my email body.

Flowpt2.PNG

Hopefully that may help you to get to your goal, if not then it might be worth us jumping on a Teams call so that we can have a look through together.

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did I answer your question? Please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Leader: Black Country PowerApps & Flow User Group

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Hi @smorley what column in the secondary list is the lookup field pointing to? 

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @smorley 

Could you provide details of Flow configuration?

Have you tried searching for the corresponding Dynamic content in the search box?

Or you could use Compose as a transition to see if you can reference this field and then configure the output of Compose in the email Body.

11.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
smorley

HI @MattWeston365 It's a multiple line of text field called "Email Body", same name as my master list.  I wonder if the multiple lines field is the culprit?  

smorley

Hi @v-bacao-msft 

The Flow configuration is fairly straightforward.

When an item in my SharePoint master list has a field that is set to yes an email is sent.  This list is a schedule of different classes, and the message for the 1st year instructors is different than the 2nd year instructor message.

I thought that if I used a second list with a field that the staff could use to modify, rather than hard-coding the message in Flow (like I did with SPD) it would enhance the usability.

I hadn't tried searching for the field in Dynamic Content, but I just did and it doesn't appear in the search results.

I will try your "Compose" solution and get back to you.

smorley

@v-bacao-msfttried the compose method, no success.

Interestingly, when dusting off SharePoint designer, multiple line fields don't display either in SPD.

Super User
Super User

Hi @smorley I've got this working in the following way:

I have a list within SharePoint which contains my email body text. It has two fields, the title and then the email body.

EmaiList.PNG

I then have another list, called Master List, which contains a lookup column called MailText. This lookup column is configured to look up to the other list using the Title field. When this field is submitted within SharePoint, it will hold two pieces of information in the list: ID and Title.

MasterList.PNG

Now when I come to my Flow, I have used a "When item is created or modified" trigger which will give me the list item from Master List. What that will give me within the dynamic text is a field called MailText Id, which if you remember is part of the data stored within the lookup field.

FlowPt1.PNG

From there I need to make a call to the list containing the actual email body as so far I only have the ID. So I will now use Get Item, using the MailText ID to retrieve the list item from the other list.

This action will then allow me to use the mutliline text field within my email body.

Flowpt2.PNG

Hopefully that may help you to get to your goal, if not then it might be worth us jumping on a Teams call so that we can have a look through together.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

smorley

That's a great help @MattWeston365 .  I'm in the Atlantic Time Zone, and I sense your not.  I followed your instructions and everything works great except for one thing.

Within the get items box, I don't have a Dynamic Content option, so when the workflow runs, I get one email per entry  in the email list.  I could work around that with a separate list for each standard email, but I'd rather not.  Here's the screen shot.

flowgetitems.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 148 members 4,799 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: