cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flow cannot update "multiple people or group" field anymore (Since last week)

I have a few flows with actions to update "Peer Reviewers" field, this is a "people and group" field allows multiple people being selected... However, since last week, it suddently stopped working, I cannot see the "Peer Reviewers" field in action "update item" or "update file properties". This is an issue can be reproduced with the below steps:

1. Create a list/library with "people and group" field , e.g. call it "Peer Reviewers", mark that field as "allow multiple select" and "people only".
  2. Create a flow running on this list/library, in the flow, add an action "Update item" or "update file properties", you will notice that you can NOT see "Peer Reviewers" field. (This used to work one week ago!)
  3. If you change the "Peer Reviewers" field to not allow "multiple select", then it will appear in Flow's "update item" or "update file properties" action...

I've submitted a ticket to Microsoft support team, but don't know when they can help me to resolve it...not very optimistic about it as it looks like a bug introduced with a few feature "Limit columns by view" last week, which allows us to filter columns by view in "update item" or "update file properties" action.

14 REPLIES 14
Super User
Super User

Re: Flow cannot update "multiple people or group" field anymore (Since last week)

I have noticed the same

SinglePerson.PNG

I switched my multi people field to single field ( my field is still called People) and I noticed that Flow calls this field "People Claims"

WilliamYin
Level: Powered On

Re: Flow cannot update "multiple people or group" field anymore (Since last week)

>I switched my multi people field to single field ( my field is still called People)

If you do so, your people field will only keep one people value for you, you will lose the rest people values I think..We might have to wait MS to fix it 😞

Super User
Super User

@WilliamYinI've raised this within the Flow team. So hopefully the fix can be there soon.

Super User
Super User

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Anonymous,

Update a "multiple people or group" field is always not supported in microsoft and you couldn't see the multiple people or group" field in the update item action.

If you would like to see and update the multiple people or group" field in the update item action,I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Alice

Super User
Super User

You could try with the REST API to do the update.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I clearlly said in this post subject, I saw that "multiple people or group" field in "update item" and "update file properties" actions, and I used it, but I didn't get enough time to do proper testing though. When I got time to do testing, I found it's not there anymore!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using REST API definitely can be a solution, but the main issue for us is that the change of "update item" and "update file properties" actions from Microsoft side broke all our exist flows, which were referring "multiple people or group" fields...

vish4287
Level: Power Up

Can you try following Steps?

1. Initiate a variable of type "Object" with initial value '{}'. Ex. 'objEmails'

2. Initiate a variable of type "Array". Ex. 'arrEmails'

3. Then add an action 'Compose'. In this action use following expression :

Spoiler
addProperty(varialbe('objEmails'),'Claims','<your_email1>')

4. Use Action 'Add variable to Array' & select the Output of Compose Action as an input tho this action.

5. Repeat step 3 & 4 for all your users to be added. (You can use 'Apply to each' action for multiple iterations)

6. Now go to your action where you want Add/update Multiple User Field.

7. Click on the the icon near the Text box(Your User Field) 'Switch to input entire array'.

Once done you will see a multiline textbox for adding array.

8. Add Array Variable to that input box.

And that is it Save Flow & try testing it.

Please let me know if this helped you.

Beerman212

When the person field is single person or multi-person you can update it for 1 person by just sending the person claims.  You can get that from the sharepoint resolve person action.

If you want to update a person field with multiple people you can't do that, you have to send in the whole contents of resolve person.  I just use a compose action to append each one into an array and then I can send in the array.

ResolvePerson.png

UpdateItem.png

Using Compose to create a person object

Super User
Super User

@vish4287 You saved my day 🙂

Thank you

P.

jayant1

Hey All,

if anyone is still struggling with this problem kindly find out the claims property of your employee by just getting the items from sharepoint list which includes the people picker field.

the claim propery involves email address of each particular employee. Kindly put that in the Update item action of people picker field and it should do the trick. 

bu11frogg

@Beerman212   Thank you for posting this!   I struggled with this for hours yesterday!

I had never used the "Resolve Person" Action before, and while looking through it I noticed a value, "SharePoint expanded user field".  Appending this value directly into an array simplified the whole Flow; I was able to skip the "Compose" step and avoid crafting a JSON statement entirely.

Here is the meat of my Flow, which takes all the existing users in a multi-person field (left side) and builds an array.  On the right side, I'm adding the user who triggered the Flow (clicked on the "pin" icon in the list item) to a hidden temp field, and then adding that user into the multi-person field along with all the previous users.

Add User to Users in Multi-Person Field.PNG

Beerman212

@bu11frogg That's very cool, I don't recall ever seeing that, maybe that is something that has been added since I made this post.  Flow is changing very very fast.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 327 members 6,970 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: