I have a similar problem.
My scenario was super simple:
Tried a differente approach by replacing the original file at the begining of the process but now the file is blocked.,
I do think Flow engineers should take a more serious approach on excel connectors, since they released a preview with a bunch of mistakes and i do mean mistakes instead of Beta testing. For instance if you try to create a file from a excel file filled by inser rows you need to delay the flow, otherwise you will get a trunced version of the file. Just as an example, but there's more.
I've been building a flow using excel connector for a week and its a completely nightmare.
Sigh. I'm getting this problem too.. the retry mechanism in the Settings for the Excel Insert Row operation looked perfect.. but they don't work with this particular error. I've raised an Idea will will hopefully get some traction for getting it fixed/working with the table locked error.
I'm experiencing the same problem. There are many threads on this topic and varying suggestions
I have a Flow that takes an Excel spreadsheet from an email attachment and copies it to a folder on SharePoint.
That file is used for a Power BI dataset so the Flow also jumps into the file and creates a table using the Create Table - Excel Online (Business) step. This is so Power BI can see the data table.
A few days ago it was running and succedding 1 out of 3 times. The other two would fail with Error 423.
Currently the Flow is failing every time with 423 and the file has been locked for over 24 hours. I even removed the folder permissions in SharePoint for the account that runs the flow and SharePoint/Flow still thinks it has it open.
I also tried being clever and made the Flow create a new file each time with a stripped down UtcNow() expression as a prefix. Unfortunately the Excel connectors make you select a file using the file picker and you can't use a dynamic path which would include the prefix.
Has anyone had any luck with the 423 error?
A few other reference threads
I have the same issue as the original poster. Others have added in issues with Excel (online) and locked files.
I have tried to use an email trigger to Update File Contents, but file is usually locked, when email arrives every 24 hours. I have tried to use a File Created in Sharepoint Folder, when users upload to sharepoint rather than emailing. However the file is usually locked when they upload every day.
I believe the issue is with Flow not closing the connection with a file, even after a flow has completed. Yet even when I create a file and use it for the first time, in testing, it is still locked before first use.
I don't know if that is the solution, but at least I had that problem "423". At first I had the file only "on-line" in SharePoint and also I tried on OneDrive. But those folders wasn't sync with my PC.
I tried in one SharePoint Folder sync with my computer and the same Flow works, then I sync the folder where it was the original file and works too.
Hope help you.
Did anyone ever come up with a proper solution for this?
I'm running into a similar problem where I need to refresh a Power BI dataset (which is a published Excel workbook), however; the refresh keeps failing because it says the workbook is open. This happens even though the Power BI dataset refresh is one of the first steps to run, and I have a 5 minute delay after it. It's almost like the Flow is pre-staging the lock on the file or maybe it's failing to close the file when it completes.
Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!
We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!
Learn how to build the business apps that you need.
Find out where you can attend!
Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!