Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MatthewGrantAU
Advocate II
Advocate II

Flow causing error code 423 file locked by user

Hi,

I keep getting error 423 locked by user in a flow since Aug 31 5:13am.

The log shows consistent successful flows until this date, and then it is only successful once every couple of hours.

eg:

Sep 10, 10:28 AM (16 min ago)
00:00:04
Succeeded
Sep 10, 9:58 AM (46 min ago)
Failed
Sep 10, 9:28 AM (1 h ago)
Failed
Sep 10, 8:58 AM (1 h ago)
00:00:03
Failed
Sep 10, 8:28 AM (2 h ago)
00:00:02
Succeeded
Sep 10, 7:58 AM (2 h ago)
Failed
Sep 10, 7:28 AM (3 h ago)
Failed
Sep 10, 6:58 AM (3 h ago)
Failed
Sep 10, 6:28 AM (4 h ago)
Failed
Sep 10, 5:58 AM (4 h ago)
Failed
Sep 10, 5:28 AM (5 h ago)
00:00:01
Failed
Sep 9, 9:58 PM (12 h ago)
Failed
Sep 9, 9:28 PM (13 h ago)
Failed
Sep 9, 8:58 PM (13 h ago)
Failed
Sep 9, 8:28 PM (14 h ago)
Succeeded
Sep 9, 7:58 PM (14 h ago)
Failed
Sep 9, 7:28 PM (15 h ago)
Succeeded
Sep 9, 6:58 PM (15 h ago)
Failed
Sep 9, 6:28 PM (16 h ago)
Failed
Sep 9, 5:58 PM (16 h ago)
Failed
Sep 9, 5:28 PM (17 h ago)
Failed
Sep 9, 4:58 PM (17 h ago)
00:00:05
Failed
Sep 9, 4:28 PM (18 h ago)
Succeeded

The Flow copies an excel file from an FTP source and writes it in Onedrive for Business.  This triggers every 30 minutes.

The Excel file in Onedrive is NEVER opened by any user.  Only Flow writes to the file.

I can test open and save it from Excel application and I get no lock error.

There is no logic problem in the flow, as the flow can work successfully intermittently, and was always successful until Aug 31.

thanks for your help, Matt.

I think the Flow ID is 299ee131-ca96-4027-bb90-1e9c949f04f2

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 10.28.42.pngScreen Shot 2018-09-09 at 08.04.01.png

49 REPLIES 49

I have a similar problem.

My scenario was super simple:

1. Blank excel with a table inside.
  2. Populate that excel with insert row action (excel online) (ok)
  3. Create a new file with content from excel step 2 with a new name and differente location. (ok)
    1. Had to delay flow for 1 minute before allowing him to move next step
  4. Overwritte the original blank file (Step 1) with a blank excel file with a table. 
Spoiler
Error. File blocked by myself. 

Tried a differente approach by replacing the original file at the begining of the process but now the file is blocked.,

I do think Flow engineers should take a more serious approach on excel connectors, since they released a preview with a bunch of mistakes and i do mean mistakes instead of Beta testing. For instance if you try to create a file from a excel file filled by inser rows you need to delay the flow, otherwise you will get a trunced version of the file. Just as an example, but there's more.

I've been building a flow using excel connector for a week and its a completely nightmare. 

Dear, you need to use Excel for business. for example:
User Get Rows (Excel for Business), using this will not lock the file and after getting the rows you are not able to add or change fields in the Excel file.
You can find an example on my blog: https://blog.pronict.net/2018/12/06/ms-flow-05-buttons-excel-approvals-and-notifications/
Regards,

Frederik Bisback
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Frederik,

Thanks for your input.  The problem is that Get Rows does not support excel files with formulas. Thanks again for your input.

Sigh. I'm getting this problem too.. the retry mechanism in the Settings for the Excel Insert Row operation looked perfect.. but they don't work with this particular error. I've raised an Idea will will hopefully get some traction for getting it fixed/working with the table locked error.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Excel-retry-options-should-work-with-file-locked-erro...

Hi all

I'm experiencing the same problem. There are many threads on this topic and varying suggestions

I have a Flow that takes an Excel spreadsheet from an email attachment and copies it to a folder on SharePoint.

That file is used for a Power BI dataset so the Flow also jumps into the file and creates a table using the Create Table - Excel Online (Business) step. This is so Power BI can see the data table.

• This is the only flow referencing this document
  • There is no other users accessing the file except the one running the flow.
  • I'm using the Excel Online (Business) connectors with SharePoint (I also tried the non-business connectors and OneDrive and had the same issue)
  • The flow runs every 45 minutes
  • The Flow fails at the SharePoint Create Item step

A few days ago it was running and succedding 1 out of 3 times. The other two would fail with Error 423.

Currently the Flow is failing every time with 423 and the file has been locked for over 24 hours. I even removed the folder permissions in SharePoint for the account that runs the flow and SharePoint/Flow still thinks it has it open.

I also tried being clever and made the Flow create a new file each time with a stripped down UtcNow() expression as a prefix. Unfortunately the Excel connectors make you select a file using the file picker and you can't use a dynamic path which would include the prefix.

Has anyone had any luck with the 423 error?

A few other reference threads

Retry-settings-for-Excel-operations-blocked-by-423-file-locked

File-Locked-Condition

Getting-error-The-file-is-locked-for-shared-use-by-when-updating

I have the same issue as the original poster.  Others have added in issues with Excel (online) and locked files.

I have tried to use an email trigger to Update File Contents, but file is usually locked, when email arrives every 24 hours.  I have tried to use a File Created in Sharepoint Folder, when users upload to sharepoint rather than emailing. However the file is usually locked when they upload every day.

I believe the issue is with Flow not closing the connection with a file, even after a flow has completed.  Yet even when I create a file and use it for the first time, in testing, it is still locked before first use.

The same problem here:

The file is created by flow, not opened by anyone.

"errors": [
    "-2147018894",
    "Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFileLockException"
  ]

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I don't know if that is the solution, but at least I had that problem "423". At first I had the file only "on-line" in SharePoint and also I tried on OneDrive. But those folders wasn't sync with my PC. 

I tried in one SharePoint Folder sync with my computer and the same Flow works, then I sync the folder where it was the original file and works too.

Hope help you.

Did anyone ever come up with a proper solution for this? 

I'm running into a similar problem where I need to refresh a Power BI dataset (which is a published Excel workbook), however; the refresh keeps failing because it says the workbook is open.  This happens even though the Power BI dataset refresh is one of the first steps to run, and I have a 5 minute delay after it.  It's almost like the Flow is pre-staging the lock on the file or maybe it's failing to close the file when it completes.  

Microsoft?? Heeeellllooooo?  Are you out there??? It's now 2020 and this issue is still plaguing (sorry, no COVID reference intended) users.  I can't create a table using the Excel Business Connector without a 75% chance that file gets locked for WEEKS.  I've seen posts that suggest the file will unlock after an hour.....simply not true.  And please MS community manager - don't suggest to us articles that talk about how to close a file, etc.  In my instance - my flow creates the file - NO ONE EVER OPENS THIS FILE - and Flow creates the table - NO ONE EVER OPENS THE FILE - and flow then LOCKS THE FILE with a 423 error.  Guess who is locked it?  ME.  Insert Obi-Wan meme (Of course I know him, he's me).  At this stage - even adding new files and trying to use those in the flow fails immediately. Zero workarounds.  We desperately need a real answer here.  Not a link to an article written 5 years ago about how to close a file or make sure no one has the file open when running your flow.....

flowFail.png

Hi Guys, 

After, i don't recall how much time since the first post, i still have the problem with the "locked file."

It's frustrating that no one looks into it. PLEASE MS !!!

I was creating a new Flow hopping MS already solved the problem.

My scenario was::

I Have 2 excel files:

XXXX Blank.xlsx

XXXX.xlsx

I was able to:

1. Excel Add Row into a table XXXX.xlsx (The file needs to be there already, otherwise it wont work)
  2. Sharepoint get file content XXXX.xlsx
  3. Sharepoint Create new file in a different location
  4. Sharepoint get file content XXXX Blank.xlsx
  5. Sharepoint Create new file XXXX.xlsx (To clean the table) ERROR Locked file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JBHorne 

This is not limited to 256, if you are still having this issue IM me and I will send you the fix.

I have the same problem,

I have a test excel file, this file only have a table, I update the table with  flow and work fine but when  I try execute the flow for second time the flow fail with 423 file locked. I try too to extract before and insert post update the excel but continue fail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have found a work around to this and other systems "locking" files.

1. Init Var I called it "locked" Set to True.

2 Create do until

3.   Attempt file action.

Split into parallel flows

If successful set VAR above to "False"

If not then do a delay for 1 minute (Or whatever)

The result can be a flow running for  awhile, but it wont do the annoying fail.

HTH

Mark

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, how can I know if the control if succesful?,

I have done the next;

init the var with false value and then update the file properties in a while control, after update the file properties step I split the flow in two, a delay for a 1minute and set variable to true.

Thanks you.

Hello  @Anonymous 

I tray again with on error event for delay path  and work fine. 👍

thanks 

Uttam
Regular Visitor

I was facing similar issue for a simple email trigger with link to Excel file uploaded to a SharePoint library. On clicking the link, the file opened in Excel, but there were 2 extra message bars - one stating file is locked for editing and read only and other stating there is a new version of file on the server - and both message bars asking to save a local copy to save changes.

I faced this issue with the trigger "When a file is created (properties only)", there was on old flow using trigger "When a file is created" that was running fine.

I was trying to fix the new flow only as I had created several copies linked to several folders, and realized the issue later.

What worked for me is ... in the SharePoint library where the file was being uploaded, under Settings>Versioning settings, I enabled "required check out for editing". After that the two message bars are not coming anymore on opening the file.

It seems the flow is opening the file and closing, and without check out enforcement, this is causing a newer version to be created in SharePoint and leaving the original version locked..leading to the message bars in Excel.

shazufaraz
Frequent Visitor

I found one way to eliminate the issue of file being locked.

Background: I have an Excel file in a SharePoint Library. Using this file, I need to update a SharePoint List in the same site. Once the data is added, the file must be moved to Archived folder in the same library. For testing, I did not include the part of adding the rows to SharePoint list.

Assumptions: My file has only one worksheet with one Table. For multiple sheets, you will have to to either use Condition or loop through each.

Flow: 

1. Get Files

2. Apply to each

2a. Check out file (using ID from step 1)

2b. Get Tables (using File Full Path from step 1)

2c. List rows present in a table (using File from step 1 and Table from step 2b)

2d. Check in File (using ID from step 1)

2e. Move file

File to SharePoint 1.PNG

File to SharePoint 2 - Get Files.PNG

File to SharePoint 3 - Check Out File.PNG

File to SharePoint 4 - Get Tables.PNG

File to SharePoint 5 - List rows in Table.PNG

File to SharePoint 6 - Check in and Move.PNG

Hi @shazufaraz, how do you check out the file? If I have a folder "Working" in Sharepoint document folder what should I put in the libary name ? I tried to put "Shared Document/Working" but I keep getting an error "List not found". Please advise. Thanks in advance.

In Check out action,

1. select 'Location' as your site location (from the dropdown) 

2. 'Library Name' as Shared Document

3. 'ID' (from Get Files (properties only) action)

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (5,198)