cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sammy
Helper IV
Helper IV

Flow creating new SharePoint list item - "Created By" help

I have my Flow set up to create a new list item when a Form is complete. When this happens, the Created By field is automatically updated as being from me (as I set up the Flow). The issue this is causing is I can now not get a "My Requests" view in SharePoint as it thinks all the list items were created by me and not by the user that completed the form originally.

Is there a way round this?

6 REPLIES 6
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Sammy,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Could you please show a bit more about the forms that you mentioned?

Further, do you want to save the creator of the form to Created By field of your SharePoint list?

I suppose that you want to save the user who completed the form into the Created By field of your SharePoint list, is it true? The Created By field is a system field and the value of it is filled by system automatically. The value of Created By field is based on the connection to the SharePoint connector.

In other words, if you create a connection to SharePoint connector (for using the "Create item" action) with your Office 365 account, when a new item is created in your SharePoint list, the value of Created By would be filled with your profile automatically. If you share your SharePoint list with other members within your Office 365 group or organization and they create a connection to SharePoint connector (for using "Create item" action and the List Name field set to your SharePoint list) with their Office 365 account, when a new item is created in your SharePoint list, the value of Created By field would be filled with their profiles.

In addition, if you want to save the user who completed the form into your SharePoint list, you could consider take a try to create a custom column to store the creator of the form on your side.

I assume that the form that you mentioned is Microsoft Forms, I have created a SharePoint list on my side and the data structure of it as below:12.JPG

Note: On my side, I create a RequestorOfForm custom column to store the user who completed the form. The RequestorOfForm column is a Person or group type column.

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a new response is submitted" trigger.
  • Add a "Apply to each", input parameter set to output of the trigger.
  • Within "Apply to each", add a "Get response details" action, specify Form Id, Response Id set to Response Id dynamic content of the trigger.

Add a "Create item" action, RequestorOfForm Claims field set to Responders' Email dynamic content of "Get response details" action.

Image reference:13.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:14.JPG

15.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Sammy
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi Kris,

Yes you've understood everything correctly. We currently use the "Responder's email" field which pulls through their email address but when we want to create a SharePoint list view which shows "My Requests" the only way I know how to do it is to create a view and filter it to show only items where Created By = [Me]. But this will only show items created by me as I created the form.

Is there a way to create a SharePoint list view with using Responders Email = [Me] or something similar?

Thanks

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sammy,

Do you want to create a SharePoint list view using Microsoft Flow?

I afraid that there is no way to create a SharePoint list view in Microsoft Flow currently. In addition, you could consider take a try with above solution that I provided, then create the SharePoint list view in SharePoint. When you create your SharePoint list view, in Filter area, choose the column (RequestorOfForm column) that I created in above:18.JPG

The SharePoint list view on my side as below:19.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Kris,

I don't want to create the view through Flow, I am happy just doing it through SharePoint. I have this column in my SharePoint list already named "Responder's email" but SharePoint will not allow me to create a view using this I got the following error message:

Responders email.png

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Sammy,

Please check if the Responders' email column is existed in your SharePoint list, if you want to make a SharePoint list view based on the Responders' email (filter items based on the Responders' email), please make sure that the Responders' email column is exisetd in your SharePoint list.

Best regards,

Kris

Hi Kris,

Yes the Responder's email is a column in the SharePoint list. It brings the email address over correctly but it does not allow me to create a [Me] view based on that. The column was created by exporting the data from the form into an Excel sheet then exporting this into a SharePoint list so I know that it is aligning up correctly with my Flow. The problem is that it isn't allowing me to create a view based on that column.

Is there a reason why it would not be allowing this?

Thanks

Sammy

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,417)