Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
maru08
Level: Powered On

Flow emails are coming from the item creator rather than Flow creator

Hi All,

I have created a flow to send automated emails after adding a SharePoint list item, this flow is called from PowerApps since this is a custom list form. I use a service account to create this flow so that I can ensure that the name of the sender is "SharePoint Admin". I've done this to other flows in the past and was working as expected but on this new flow I'm working on, all emails are being sent as the SharePoint list item creator insted of the MS Flow creator which should have been the "SharePoint Admin". Was there a recent update that I missed? I checked the Outlook connection and it is still the "SharePoint Admin" account.

***UPDATE: I checked on my other flows with emails and it seems that all are having the same issue, it is no longer sending as the flow creator. Wondering if other users are encountering this issue.

Hope you guys can help me on this.

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Flow emails are coming from the item creator rather than Flow creator

Hi @maru08 ,

Could you share screenshots of the Flow configuration?

If you are using the Send an email action, have you configured Send as?

Basically, the mail is sent by the email address of the connection that configures the action. If Send as is set, From will change depending on the settings.

Image reference:

46.PNG

Please provide more details.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
maru08

Hi @v-bacao-msft,

I did not configure a "Send As" email address, I was just using the connection of our SPAdmin. See my screenshot below:

flow_email_sender.PNG

I actually found out that the issue was between PowerApps and Flow. I created a new flow with a trigger "When an item is created" and it worked as expected and emails were sent as the SPAdmin account. But when the trigger was from PowerApps, it seems that it gets the connection of the user who created an item through PowerApps instead of the Flow creator which in my case is the SPAdmin. My flows were all working last Friday and when I came back to work this issue occurred and other Flows that triggers from PowerApps also gets this issue. As a workaround, I changed the trigger from PowerApps to "When an item is created". Maybe if you could check if my assumption was correct? I'm not sure if other users are encountering this kind of issue.

Regards

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @maru08 ,

Are you sharing other members of the app?

If so, I guess that other members hand changed the connection to their own account, so this will happen.

Basically, it is consistent with your guess. You could use When an item is created as a trigger directly to avoid this problem.

You could also consider using Send an email from a shared mailbox action to send email.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
maru08

Hi @v-bacao-msft,

No, I am not sharing this account with my other team members. I also checked if the connections were changed but it is not. This issue only occurs when the trigger is from PowerApps. It sends the emails as the SharePoint item creator instead of the Flow creator. It overrides the Flow connection which is really weird and hopefully Microsoft can take a look on this. This was working as expected just two weeks ago. I cannot use the trigger "When an item is created or modified" because my app updates the list item one question at a time which means if I use this it will trigger each time a question was updated which I think is not a good design.

Regards,

Maru

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 343 members 5,907 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: