cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hyperbob0811
Helper I
Helper I

Flow error to update file properties after an approval operation

I have a flow, which works perfectly, except for the last action - update file properties.  I get the following error

The file " File name here.pdf" is not checked out. You must first check out this document before making changes.
clientRequestId: d3dfc5c8-6374-4779-9937-d42e7ff61fc4
serviceRequestId: d3dfc5c8-6374-4779-9937-d42e7ff61fc4

Now the crux of this is that the workflow will NOT run if I do not check the document in..... so how is this meant to work?.  I need to be able to update the file properties after its been approved, with the approval comments And the completion date, as well as another field for its status, which I will use in another workflow condition.

Here is my flow.

doc appvl workflow.png

12 REPLIES 12
Hardesh15
Super User
Super User

@hyperbob0811 

From your flow configuration, it will run infinite times. And what kind of property you are trying to modify?

Thanks

Hardesh

I am trying to add in the approval comments and the completed date into specific library columns, as well as a workflow limiter column, which will mean for each document the process will run only once - but as I said the file properties will not be updated because the file is checked in....  but the workflow won't run until the file is .... checked in.

@hyperbob0811 

are you manually doing check i check out? Can you use Check in file/Check out file action and try.

Thanks

Hardesh

Yes I am manually checking the document in, in order for the file to start the process of being sent for approval.  I am not aware it can be done any other way, as I need the metadata which can now only be added after you've brought the document into the library.

how can I automate that check-in.

I have revision enabled as I want to control the revision and display the revision of the document in the library also.

@ hardesh15

Yes I am manually checking the document in, in order for the file to start the approval process.

But I also need the document to be revision controlled, so If I add an automatic check-out and check-in operation, with an Update file properties operation in between the check in and check out action, will this not increase my documents revision number again?

@hyperbob0811 

No matter what process you are following if anything is modifying in List/Library line item. it will create new entry in version history.

Thanks

Hardesh

so let me understand this - microsoft have created a document control option which up revs a document record every time any change is made to the metadata, which in effect removes the actual document control, because its then the record which is controlled and NOT the document!

Therefore how can you ever record the actual workflow history in the document?

Surely this cannot be right.

@hyperbob0811 

When you edit document for example excel from document library in that case your version will be created without any comment. But when you do check in check out your version history will show you your published comment. Metadata associated with file will always be modified either you modify file or any column.

Hardesh15_0-1602513133087.png

Comment "modify by flow" i put through flow check out and Check in  while blank comment i manually edited that file.

Thanks

Hardesh

@Hardesh15 I still do not quite understand.

I have to check a file in to allow the approval process to start - is this right, because so far this seems to be the case.  BUT

To update the metadata fields associated with the file, it also must be checked out - is this right - because so far it seems to be the case.

If both are right, then the actual document version, and therefore the REVISION of the record will change - this is not document control it is record control.  Surely a workflow can update a document file properties metatdata column, without the full revision changing?

I'm in the same boat and it's mind boggling.  My flow job is running but it will not update the approver's name field because the file is not checked out.  Did you ever find a solution?

Nope, the whole thing is a total joke, and I ended up using 2 lists, one with the live actionable stuff, and one where the users can view the "approved" documents - so I added a create item and an update item action in a flow which has given me waay more flexibility that the out of the box library nonsense

Thanks.  My work around was to capture the Summary of the Approval process and input it into the Comments of the "Set content approval status"  it puts in there the approver's name, status, date.  Which is good enough for me.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,383)