cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
risingson
Advocate I
Advocate I

Flow failing due to 'Null' value

I have a flow setup to create a Trello card upon creation of a Sharepoint list item. One of the items I'm putting into the card's description is a date and time value from the Sharepoint list item. I am using a utcnow() function inside a compose step before the card creation step so I can inser the time and date value as a formatted string. See below:

if(equals(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],null),'',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))

This works fine if someone enters a value for the date when submitting a new Sharepoint list item. However, if they don't the flow will fail with the following error:

Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Due_Date' inputs at line '1' and column '2112': 'The template language function 'utcNow' expects its parameter to be of type string. The provided value is of type 'Null'.

So, I've tried adding an if() statement to deal with possible null values but can't seem to get it working. I've tried the following unsuccessfully (all provide the exact same error if no value is entered in the 'Due_Date' field when the new items is submitted):

if(equals(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],null),'',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))
if(equals(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],Null),'',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))
if(equals(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],'Null'),'',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))
if(empty(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),'',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))
if(empty(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],'text',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))

if(equals(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date'],Null),'text',formatDateTime(addHours(utcNow(triggerBody()?['Due_x0020_Date']),8),'yyyy-MM-dd | HH:mm'))

What am I doing wrong?

20 REPLIES 20
DeeTronSEAM
Advocate V
Advocate V

WHAT a PITA!!!!

But shoutout to @andrew_blubase for alleviating some of the pain with his workaround.  Thanks, Andrew!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Carousel April Dunnam Updated 768x460.jpg

Urdu Hindi D365 Bootcamp

Dont miss our very own April Dunnam’s The Developer Guide to the Galaxy! Find out what the Power Platform has to offer for the traditional developer.

Users online (2,221)