cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jengwt
Regular Visitor

Flow is not respecting selected SharePoint-List View

Hello. I have a Flow which I am using to pass data from a SharePoint List to a Power App.

I can't pull the List data into the App directly because we have breached the magical field limit, even though I only actually want a handful of fields.

Our solution has been to set up a List View with only the couple of fields that I want which have also been filtered be relevancy to my project. The problem is that the Flow does not appear to be respecting that I have told it to use a View, instead of the whole List.

The whole List has about 90 records. Two are invalid because they are nulls, and of the remainder, I only actually want 27, which have been defined by the rules which govern the List View. However, using the below "Get items", I get all 88 valid records from the List despite having told it to use the View.

Does anyone know why this is occurring, or how it can be fixed? Thank you!

jengwt_1-1621622850352.png

P.S.: The "Get items" breaks if without the use of the "Filter Query" command excluding the nulls. However, those records are not included in the view and should not be necessary.

For more info on this Flow, please see my other post: Build Flow to Retrieve SharePoint-List View for Power App 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jengwt
Regular Visitor

The other week, I was able to get this to work. However, I see Flow's not respecting the conditions of a View as a bug, and am going to start a ticket or idea about it. If a View has coded conditions, then the exported data should reflect those conditions when that View is queried.

To continue with @PrasadAthalye's SQL analogy, say you set up a view in your DB to select two columns of data for the month of June 2021, from a table named "Table" with fields "Item", "Quantity", and "Date". You might write:

CREATE VIEW TableView AS 
SELECT Item, Quantity 
FROM Table 
WHERE MONTH(Date) = 6 AND YEAR(Date) = 2021

If you SELECT * FROM TableView, you would not expect that it would return data from months other than June of 2021. That, I think, is what we have occurring here. You should not have to query, SELECT * FROM TableView WHERE MONTH(Date) = 6 and YEAR(Date) = 2021

I would propose that "Get items" be made to respect the conditions of a List View.

At any rate, I just had to confirm with the List owners that the View is set up the way they want, and that they are using the Yes/No flag field "ReportCatalog" to identify the records they want included in my App. Strangely, an apparent boolean field which describes itself as Yes/No but exports to Excel as True/False is in fact not filtered by either of those, but by 1/0.

Additionally, as I was trying to find the correct filter condition, I found that using iterations of 'true', 'yes', etc. returned a single record, the filter value of which should be False/No/0. Either there must be something buggy with that record, or something else is going on.

jengwt_0-1622655240283.png

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PrasadAthalye
Super User
Super User

@jengwt Limit Columns by View as it says, only lets you select the number of columns that are in the view. So If you have 2 columns in the view, your output of Get Items will be 2 columns.

For filters, you have to use Filter Query only. You will have to use all the rules within filter query that you have used in the view.

Please Like and Mark this as Answer if it resolves your Issue.

Power Automate Community

@PrasadAthalye I have rules that filter the records in the View which cut them down from 90 to 27 records. Are you saying that those rules are ignored by the "Get items"?

I wouldn't say its ignored.  View Configuration is just to control the number of columns you want to include in output. It does not matter what is your view condition. It is by design.  In SQL terms This is just a Select Clause

Cutting record from 90 to 27 needs a filter and you will have to use Filter Query in Get Items to do that. In SQL Terms this is where you write Where clause

Power Automate Community
jengwt
Regular Visitor

The other week, I was able to get this to work. However, I see Flow's not respecting the conditions of a View as a bug, and am going to start a ticket or idea about it. If a View has coded conditions, then the exported data should reflect those conditions when that View is queried.

To continue with @PrasadAthalye's SQL analogy, say you set up a view in your DB to select two columns of data for the month of June 2021, from a table named "Table" with fields "Item", "Quantity", and "Date". You might write:

CREATE VIEW TableView AS 
SELECT Item, Quantity 
FROM Table 
WHERE MONTH(Date) = 6 AND YEAR(Date) = 2021

If you SELECT * FROM TableView, you would not expect that it would return data from months other than June of 2021. That, I think, is what we have occurring here. You should not have to query, SELECT * FROM TableView WHERE MONTH(Date) = 6 and YEAR(Date) = 2021

I would propose that "Get items" be made to respect the conditions of a List View.

At any rate, I just had to confirm with the List owners that the View is set up the way they want, and that they are using the Yes/No flag field "ReportCatalog" to identify the records they want included in my App. Strangely, an apparent boolean field which describes itself as Yes/No but exports to Excel as True/False is in fact not filtered by either of those, but by 1/0.

Additionally, as I was trying to find the correct filter condition, I found that using iterations of 'true', 'yes', etc. returned a single record, the filter value of which should be False/No/0. Either there must be something buggy with that record, or something else is going on.

jengwt_0-1622655240283.png

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

Okay. I recommend to open another item for filter query Boolean expression in case you need help on that. Please accept the solution on this one so that we can close this thread.

Power Automate Community

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,190)