cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julieann
Level 8

Flow not running on Document Library and Task List

Hi,

We created a flow that will update our task list whenever a document is uploaded on the library. So, if a user uploads a file, they need to specify what task the document is for. So what we did is, we created a required column, which is a lookup from the task list so we can capture the task and the task id.

The flow will then look for that task/item from the task list using the task id and then update the item with information as to who uploaded the file, the date it was uploaded and the file name of the document.

The flow was working fine before and then one day, the flow failed on the "get item" action, with the error "the query to field __ is not valid. We were not able to solve the problem even after updating the flow or recreating it. And then suddenly, the flow's not running anymore, no failed runs or error messages. We also created a new flow that will simply send an email when a new file is created on the library, and also when an item is created on the task list, but the flow just doesn't trigger/run. 

Please help!

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I checked the run history summary when I clicked on Learn more and the status says: "Trigger failed" but no other information as to why it failed. 

flow.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Flow not running on Document Library and Task List

Hi @julieann,

Could you please share a bit more about the Lookup column within your SharePoint library?

Which column of your task list does the Lookup column reference within your SharePoint library?

I have made a test on my side and don’t have the issue that you mentioned. My flow’s configuration as below:8.JPG

9.JPG

Note: The TaskID column (Lookup column) within my SharePoint library reference ID column of Task list.

The flow works successfully as below:10.JPG

11.JPG

Please check if your Lookup column within your SharePoint library reference the ID column (This column identifies the item uniquely) within your Task list.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
julieann
Level 8

Re: Flow not running on Document Library and Task List

Hi kris,

Thanks for the reply.

We used the Task Name from the task list as the lookup value and used it's ID for the flow. 

Since the status of the flow says Trigger failed, we tried to create a simple flow on the same library to test. So if a file is uploaded, an email will be sent to me. But the flow is not running. It was not triggered if we uploaded a file.

Edit: I think I know where the problem is, the lookup column on the library is a site column. Also, I was able to see the error message on the failed trigger, it says, ""The field '__' is not supported in query. The lookup list is in another web.\r\nclientRequestId: d909fff7-6186-49f9-abb2-280f9feeab6e".

So the document library and the task list is actually located in different subsites, that's why a lookup site column was created to connect the two. is there any workaround so that I can get/update data from the task list to the document library or vice versa, considering they are on different subsite?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,055)