cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ATH
Level: Powered On

Flow returning as "Failed" when using Configure Run After

I've built a flow that is designed to check if user submitted data already exists in a column within one of several connected excel tables. If there's no match on the first table then a new row is added, an email is sent and the flow is completed; if there is a match then it checks the details against a second table, if there's no match on the second table then a new row is added and an email is sent; if theres a match then it moves on the third table... etc.

I'm currently using the "Configure Run After" and "Has Failed" options after each "Get a Row" action; if no matches are found then it triggers the Add Row and Send an Email actions... if there is a match then it runs the same set of actions against the following tables.

The flow itself works fine; however, if a "Has Failed" option is triggered then the flow is still marked as "Failed", even though all the required actions have successfully run. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? Surely if error handling options have been added and triggered then it should be able to detect that the flow didn't actually fail.

Still new to flows so it's possible I'm missing something obvious.

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Flow returning as "Failed" when using Configure Run After

Hi @ATH,

Could you share a screenshot of your Flow configuration?

If you want the final execution result of Flow to be displayed as Success, then the state of the last executed action must be success.

The final action I'm referring to here contains control, the outermost layer and the last executed action is executed successfully, and Flow will be displayed as success.

If it doesn't really affect your actual scenario, just the status will show up inconsistent with expectations, you could ignore it.

Or you could consider changing the Flow configuration and changing the conditions that determine if the column value already exists.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ATH

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me, I've attached a screenshot as requested of a flow that has returned as "Failed". 

- So the "Is A New Firm" condition correctly directs the flow to the "If No" set of actions.

- The flow then attempts to get a row from an excel table.

- If the row cannot be found then the Condition Run After + Has Failed options instruct the flow to continue with the "Add Row: NO MATCH...." and "Send an email" sequence of actions - both of which complete without any issue.

As the final two actions complete successfully and there's error handling in place for the failed action, I would like this to be returned as Successful.

If there's no way to do this then I will need to consider alternative configurations (again, I'm new to Flow so any suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated). Although having it return as "Failed" doesn't impact the final outcome of the flow, I would still prefer runs that require no further action to be tagged as "Successful", that way I can easily identify which runs "Fail" for an actual reason. I have spent time looking for a solution to this and the best I could find was the "Terminate" action; however, this unfortunately isn't suitable as each of the actions take place within a Apply to Each environment.

Thanks again

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ATH,

It seems that the result of the "Is A New Firm" control is Failed, so the entire Flow is displayed as Failed.

As mentioned in the previous Post, Flow will determine the execution result of the entire Flow with the outermost action, including the final result of the control execution.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ATH

Yes following your earlier message, I understand how Flow determines the execution result. Are you able to suggest a solution/workaround to resolve this?

ColinH1

I have exactly the same issue. 

In my scenario I have an upload files flow where the user is allowed to upload 2 files one of which is optional. I have tried to capture the optional file not existing by configuring a run after (set a variable to the file name). The flow actually works but as stated the flow shows as failed.

I could solve this if there was a function to check the existance of a file (but i don't know of one) but this defeats the object of error handling if the flow still shows as failing when the outcome is in fact a success.

Any help would be appreciated

ATH

Completely agree that it returning as "failed" is completely ridiculous but it doesn't seem like there's much interest from the "Community Support Team" to provide a solution.

I eventually had to rework my flow using the Condition action. I'm not sure how you could check for the existance of a file but for my situation (confirming the existance of a row in an excel table), I used an ODATA filter in a List rows present in a table action. It first filters the data down to only include rows that contain a specific value (the name/reference of an item I want to check exists) in a specific column - if the row does not exist then it won't fail, it just pulls an empty row.

I then use the Condition action to see if a value in said row is empty  (using the empty Expression Function)- if it returns TRUE then I know that the value does not exist and proceed with the appropriate route; similarly, if it returns FALSE then I know that the item does exist.

I know that this won't provide much help for your particular situation but hopefully it may be useful to anyone else having a similar problem in the future.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 187 members 6,261 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: