Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CW
Advocate V
Advocate V

Flow running ad infinitum even with terminate control

Background: 

• Wanted to build a site column lookup column field based on a managed metadata field. The lookup needs to filter the contents according to an item's "Contact Type". 
  • quickly found out no such capability (😮)
  • After days and days of conversation with support and reseaerch on the internet I learned one needs to create a flow to perform that. Cool, ok.

Current:

• Built the flow with conditions. Works, HOWEVER, the flow runs and runs and runs and runs even though:
    1. terminate is implemented,
    2. either yes or now was met,
    3. yes it works off when an item is created or modified, but hey, msft built powerautomate but we're left dealing with this conundrum and little 'intuitive' ways to overcome it.

The following is my flow:

Flow_infinity.png

STATUS LOG (only part)

Status.png

DUPLICATE

I also have another identical flow but addresses a "Distributor" text field rather than "Publisher". 

QUESTIONS:

• They both work but when an item is modified both have mulitple successes or cancellations as per the terminate designation.  There should only be one!!!!!!!!!!
  • Why are they running on and on and on and on??? AND then if one succeeded, you receive several "Succeeded" status then it starts into "Running", Running", then "Succeeded" then "Failed" 
  • So Microsoft knows we have better things to do with our time then constantly troubleshoot EVERY SINGLE thing we do in M365/Power right? 

SO FAR 5 DAYS SPENT SIMPLY TRYING TO FILTER A DROP DOWN BASED ON A MMDfield. ???? Really??

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
tom_riha
Super User
Super User

Hello @CW ,

I suppose you're dealing with the infinite trigger loop. You trigger flow on item update, and then you the update later in the flow, which will trigger another flow as you just did an update, and it goes on and on and on.

You'll have to implement some way how to stop the trigger loop: https://tomriha.com/how-to-avoid-infinite-trigger-loop-in-power-automate/

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]
CW
Advocate V
Advocate V

Tx Tom. Yes saw those but I’m the only account, no other account would ever be invoking it so this wont work. Besides, if one has to go through all that rigamarole to end a yes no flow then……………………………I’ll use something else (other collaborative platform) a bit more functional. Moreover, the interval between when this flow will be used is realtivley long so msft will probably turn it off before it gets used again.

This is a reason I stopped using SharePoint for over a year. All the flows I setup got turned off then had to go in and figure out which flows I needed again. At the end of the day it’d saved a hell of a lot of time, effort and frustration doing it manually.

I very very much resent that turning flows off. WHO are they to determine when and how often people use flows?????????????????????

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

June User Group Leader Call

Join us on June 28 for our monthly User Group leader call!

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,981)