cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flow sending multiple emails for a single approval request

Hi All,

I have an approval flow that is sending multiple approval requests for just a single document. Normally, for a document uploaded it would send a single email to the approvers, but for some reason, it is sending multiple emails for a single request. For the 20 documents uploaded, the approver has received 100 email approval request.

I made some change to the flow before uploading those documents as some had failed and needed to be resubmitted. I saved the flow and gave it about a 1hour before re-uploading the documents, as I had a similar issue to this last time where I had made a change to the flow, and it had sent 2 approval, one of which had the updated changes and the old one.

This is why my flow looks like:

ArturDj_1-1616752647445.png

I am unsure why this is happening! Do I delete the entire flow and start again, or any other suggestion on where I might be going wrong?

Thanks,
Artur

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
manuelnunes
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for reaching out.

I understand that you have a flow that is triggered by creating a new file in SharePoint. At some point, you create an approval request after which you have two actions occurring in parallel:
1) Wait for the approval to be checked - this action will be waiting for the multiple approvers input.
2) The Do Until action will be running even if the request has not yet been approved by the users.

The issue you are facing relates to the fact that you receive multiple approval requests instead of just one, when creating a single file in SharePoint.

At his stage and based on the information you provided, I have little visibility on what might be causing the multiple approval requests issue and I could not reproduce that same error on my side. I have however a few suggestions:

Can you check the history of the flow to make sure that the multiple approval requests were made in just one run or was the flow triggered multiple times?
At any step of the flow (and namely within the "Do Until" action), if you are creating a file in SharePoint the flow would be triggering itself which would prompt multiple approval requests.

If that is not the case, I recommend re-building the flow step by step (starting from the first "Approval request" action and if it doesn't work, from the beginning), with constant testing to make sure that it performs well and that there is only one approval request per user. That way, it would be possible to debug the flow and understand where the duplication was occurring.

Looking forward for your reply.

Best regards,
Manuel Nunes

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
manuelnunes
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for reaching out.

I understand that you have a flow that is triggered by creating a new file in SharePoint. At some point, you create an approval request after which you have two actions occurring in parallel:
1) Wait for the approval to be checked - this action will be waiting for the multiple approvers input.
2) The Do Until action will be running even if the request has not yet been approved by the users.

The issue you are facing relates to the fact that you receive multiple approval requests instead of just one, when creating a single file in SharePoint.

At his stage and based on the information you provided, I have little visibility on what might be causing the multiple approval requests issue and I could not reproduce that same error on my side. I have however a few suggestions:

Can you check the history of the flow to make sure that the multiple approval requests were made in just one run or was the flow triggered multiple times?
At any step of the flow (and namely within the "Do Until" action), if you are creating a file in SharePoint the flow would be triggering itself which would prompt multiple approval requests.

If that is not the case, I recommend re-building the flow step by step (starting from the first "Approval request" action and if it doesn't work, from the beginning), with constant testing to make sure that it performs well and that there is only one approval request per user. That way, it would be possible to debug the flow and understand where the duplication was occurring.

Looking forward for your reply.

Best regards,
Manuel Nunes

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,898)