Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JHS2020
Helper V
Helper V

Flow that sends out an email to people who have signed up in SharePoint list

Hi

I wanted to ask if it is possible to create a SharePoint list, where people can add themselves to the list, and add what time of hours they want to recieve the email depending on the topic. 

So Lets say Jane list herself to receive an email between 1pm-4pm and she only wants to get an email when a new email regarding fish is recieved in their shared mailbox? 

George wants to receive an email between 3pm-4pm and wants to get an email when the topic from the shared mailbox is something with the weather.

Is this possible?

12 REPLIES 12
KvB1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Does the timeframe that the person wants to receive a mail match the timeframe the mail is received in the shared mailbox?

Example:
Shared mailbox receives a mail at 10am concerning fish. Jane lists herself to receive an email between 1pm-4pm concerning fish. Does she receive the mail at 1pm or not at all?

@KvB1 

I believe she will, but it will be nice with both examples 🙂

Sorry I just realized that if Jane wants an email from 1-4pm, she will not receive the email from 10am

KvB1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Well, the flow would look a bit different for both scenarions

Jane receives an email only when the email arrives in her timeframe:

- Trigger = when a new mail arrives

- Store the date/time of its an arrival in a format that matches the format of the sharepoint value

- Filter the sharepoint list to see if this variable falls within the timeframes selected by the user AND the topic matches

- Send mail to all rows found using those filters

The other scenario would be a bit trickier, because it would involve some loops that involve do until, which will check whether a certain time value has been matched

How would you do this? 🙂

- Store the date/time of its an arrival in a format that matches the format of the sharepoint value

- Filter the sharepoint list to see if this variable falls within the timeframes selected by the user AND the topic matches

Well, the first one would depend on the format of the sharepoint values. Do you have an example?

You would use an odata filter query (or better yet, chuck it all into a HTTP request) to check if the variable is greater than the start of the time frame, and also smaller one than the end of the time frame

JHS2020
Helper V
Helper V

I would say that we have five columns with the week days. Under monday Jane would want an email between 1-2pm and friday Jane would receive the email from 6-7pm

KvB1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Ah okay, did you already set it up like that? It would make the filters in the flow a bit more complex

The easier option would be to have a column for day of the week, start time, end time, topic and user, and have multiple rows 

No I did not set it up yet. How will to propose to do it then? 🙂

But there is more layers to it. Because they should also choose which topic they want to recieve info about? Such as topic 1, topic 2, topic 3 ...... topic 10

KvB1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I would set it up like this:

KvB1_0-1647852676316.png

How will it work with the start time and end time in the flow? 🙂

KvB1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Basically, the trigger will be 'when a new email arrives'

From the trigger, you will set some variables

- The day of the week

- The topic

- The time of the mail

Then you will use these variables to retrieve the relevant sharepoint items

- Day of the week must match

- Topic must match

- Mail arrival time must be greater than StartTime

- Mail arrival time must be smaller than EndTime

You will end up with records that match these conditions. Then you grab the mail adresses, and use them to forward the original mail

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events happening this month - don't miss out!

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Users online (2,795)