BenDonahue
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Flow thinks my integer is a string

In trying to access a value in the last row of a table in Excel, I have:

max data id from last.png

Value in that last block is outputs('Compose_5')?['Max-Data-ID']

Running this, the error I get is:

Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Initialize_var_-_MaxDataIDLog' inputs at line '1' and column '2169': 'The template language expression 'outputs('Compose_5')?['Max-Data-ID']' cannot be evaluated because property 'Max-Data-ID' cannot be selected. Property selection is not supported on values of type 'String'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'.

Am I missing an opportunity to cast my tabel data as an integer? CLearly, I don't get what I'm missing.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

ohh @BenDonahue  its a formula, sorry friend but power automate can't manage formulas yet

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

View solution in original post

mmm @BenDonahue  I'm not shure about if the value that you need is a comparation of all values in that column or just you need the top of the values.

if is the top of all values you can use filters see

topcount.PNG

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChristianAbata
Super User
Super User

hi @BenDonahue  its because when you use compose everything inside is a string

please add your expression starting with int('HERE YOUR EXPRESSION')

Here you have an example about how you can add expresions

int.PNG

Proud to be a Flownaut!

After attempting that solution, I ended up with the same error. Initial value of the variable was changed to:

int(outputs('Compose_5')?['Max-Data-ID'])

Does Flow think that the value being accessed is a string? The column "Max-Data-ID" gets its value from a formula in the cell,
=MAX([Data-ID]), which is always an integer. Is flow looking at the formula ad then saying that the cell is a string? I want it to look at the result of the formula, which, as I said, is an integer.

ohh @BenDonahue  its a formula, sorry friend but power automate can't manage formulas yet

Proud to be a Flownaut!

First, Thank you for your time and help.

Second, well, that sucks. In the JSON, it certainly looks like Flow is grabbing the data, and not the formula:

variable is being passed as value, not formula.png

Can you suggest a way to access the max value from the column "Data-ID" in an expression? This would add the value as a static number, which might solve my issue...?

mmm @BenDonahue  I'm not shure about if the value that you need is a comparation of all values in that column or just you need the top of the values.

if is the top of all values you can use filters see

topcount.PNG

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,348)