cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Flow throwing multiple emails when multiple choice options are selected on SharePoint List

Hello Team,

I have a flow created to notify when a new item is added to SharePoint Online. The flow is working as intended but in the SharePoint list, I have a multiple choice box and when multiple options are selected and submitted, the flow is triggering multiple emails instead of one!. 

Is this the normal behavior or there's something missing in my flow which is triggering multiple emails ?

I checked for help on the forum referring to the previously added queries and found that this functionality of selecting multiple options is currently not available in Flow. Please confirm.

Please provide a workaround if available.

Best Regards

Jagadish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Jack23,

Do you want to include Choice value with multiple selections into one email?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a new item is created" trigger.
  • Add a "Create HTML table" action, From set to Task Type dynamic content of the trigger, Include headers set to Yes and Columns set to custom. Within Custom columns map entry, insert one entry, Headers set to TaskTypeValue and corresponding value set to Task Type Value dynamic content.
  • Add a "Send an email" action, Body field set to output of "Create HTML table" action.

Image reference:2.JPG

Note: The Task Type column is a custom Choice type column with multiple selections, the screenshot as below:5.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:3.JPG

4.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jack23,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Do you create a Choice type column with the Checkboxes (allow multiple selections) option is enabled within your SharePoint list?

Further, could you please share a bit more about your Choice type column?

I suppose that you add a "Apply to each" action within your flow, is it true? Multiple Choice type values are not supported in Microsoft Flow currently. If you reference the Choice type values with multiple selections within actions under the trigger, the "Apply to each" action would be added automatically. My flow's configuration as below:2.jpg

The Choice type values with multiple selections would be processed as a list of items within Microsoft Flow, we use "Apply to each" action to process the list of items. More details about the usage of "Apply to each" action, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/apply-to-each

Best regards,

Kris

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Kris,

Below is what I have created.

F_F.PNG

On SharePoint List, I have a multiple choice type column called " Issues " and when I select multiple options in the " issues " and then submit the item, it throws multiple emails. I just want one email to come through which has information of all the selected issues.

SharePoint Choice Column is enabled. Below is the screenshot.

F_F2.PNG

When I select both Wrong ticketing routing and wrong ticket priority, I want only one email to be sent as both entries are added to one item.

Please help.

Thanks

Jagadish

Hi @Jack23,

Do you want to include Choice value with multiple selections into one email?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a new item is created" trigger.
  • Add a "Create HTML table" action, From set to Task Type dynamic content of the trigger, Include headers set to Yes and Columns set to custom. Within Custom columns map entry, insert one entry, Headers set to TaskTypeValue and corresponding value set to Task Type Value dynamic content.
  • Add a "Send an email" action, Body field set to output of "Create HTML table" action.

Image reference:2.JPG

Note: The Task Type column is a custom Choice type column with multiple selections, the screenshot as below:5.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:3.JPG

4.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

View solution in original post

Kris,

Perfect Smiley Happy

The fix you provided is working perfectly.

There's a problem in my output I guess. There's an extra tab after "Defect(s)". I tried using paragraph start & stop and also 

<p align="left"> but nothing is working here.

F1.PNG

Below is what I have in my flow.

F2.PNGF3.PNG

Please help me fix this.

Thanks

Jagadish

I was having the same issue and this is still a perfect workaround, thanks!

Hi.

My senario is very similar to the above but involves conditons with ORs logic which looks at multiple choice values selected from a sharepoint list, and then undertakes an action. The Apply to all kept getting added automatically by flow and I found dumplicate emails and entries were created.

Any thoughts on my senario for a work around would be most welcome:

A person creates an "Idea / suggestion" in a SharePoint list, and multiple choice column tick boxes for which technologies are impacted (for example the suggstion impacts accross multiple technologies so we need to alert the teams impacted). However if 1 team manages multiple technoligies - they get duplicate emails and planner tasks for each technology multiple choice tick box selected - and not just a single one for the new suggestion .

Flow will triger on a new item created, and using a condition if contains "SharePoint" OR "Teams" OR "Information Protection", then send an email alert and create a planner task for teamworking group. 

If No then another conditon if contains "Intune" OR "Information Protection" then email alert and create planner task for EMS team etc.

Idea is to send an alert and create a planner task for the teams impacted to triage the idea etc.

However it looks like with the apply to all being added, Flow will double up on the emails and planner tasks for the group. For example the teamworking team would then get multiple email and planner tasks for each multiple choice tick box selected (for example "SharePoint" OR "Teams" OR "Onedrive" will send 3 emails and create 3 planner tasks - and not just 1 for the new item).

Any thoughts most welcome (or is there any plans for support of multiple choice in Flow in the future?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (63,285)