cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yellowsubmarine
Level: Powered On

Flow to Create a SharePoint Data List from an Excel Table

I have a flow that uploads excel table to SharePoint Data List. The Data List is created monthly specifically for the excel mothly upload.

Will it be possible for flow to upload excel to automatically create the Data List rather than me creating the Data List first then run my excel to SPO flow? Hence it should have the same Header and Text/Number Format for the fields?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Flow to Create a SharePoint Data List from an Excel Table

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

Do you want to create a list every month through Flow, and then insert the data in Excel table into the newly created list?

First of all, MS Flow does not currently support create a list action, although we can create a new list through REST API, but there seems to not be able to create an item afterwards. I am afraid there is no suitable method to achieve this requirements.

• If you need to create a list almost the same every month, please consider creating a list template, which simplifies the operation of creating a new list.
  • In addition, you could also insert the data in the Excel table into same list, group by month.

You need to create a new column in Excel table and list to record the month, configure Filter Query to filter the records of this month, and then insert the filtered data into the list.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

Do you want to create a list every month through Flow, and then insert the data in Excel table into the newly created list?

First of all, MS Flow does not currently support create a list action, although we can create a new list through REST API, but there seems to not be able to create an item afterwards. I am afraid there is no suitable method to achieve this requirements.

• If you need to create a list almost the same every month, please consider creating a list template, which simplifies the operation of creating a new list.
  • In addition, you could also insert the data in the Excel table into same list, group by month.

You need to create a new column in Excel table and list to record the month, configure Filter Query to filter the records of this month, and then insert the filtered data into the list.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

yellowsubmarine

Hi @v-bacao-msft  I have created a template list and I willl ammend the flow for the target datalist monthly.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @yellowsubmarine ,

Thank you for your reply.

It seems that this is an appropriate method. If there is a better method, I will recommend it to you.

Best Regards,

mrfishe2

1) I'd like to use data in an Excel file (stored either in SharePoint, as you described -- on in OneDrive) that will provide dynamic data for (mail-merge like) emails to users who have report deadlines in 30, 60, or 90 days.  My challenge is that the users may varying numbers of reports -- from 1 to 12 -- and they won't be happy receiving multiple emails if they have multiple reports.  I'd like to create an HTML table (showing report name / due date) for each user with the number of lines = number of reports coming due.  Each user would receive 1 email containing the appropriate HTML table.  

2) When I pull data from Excel into Flow, the user name is a text field instead of a "person or group" field.  Is there any easy way around that?

yellowsubmarine

Hello@mrfishe2 

For your requirement this might help: 

1. On requirement please refer to the build on the solution from this link https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Send-one-email-if-Manager-name-is-in-SP-list/m-p/...

2. For the requirement in order for the SPO to read the excel column as profile consider updating the column type of that datalist to Person or Group have you checked this?

You may want to check thru Settings > List Settings > Target column should type Person or Group rather than sigle line of text.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 162 members 5,335 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: