cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Flow to Save As Excel File on SharePoint to Folder

Hi,

Is there any way I am able to automatically save a copy of an existing Excel file in a Sharepoint folder every week to another SharePoint Folder to keep as an archive?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Flow to Save As Excel File on SharePoint to Folder

Thanks @vecerpa

It's because we wouldn't want to sort through all the edit histories and want the spreadsheet from a specific point in time to look back. I tried what you mentioned (SharePoint get file content and Sharepoint create file) but the file content converted to something else than an Excel file and could not open.

I then tried Get file metadata then Copy file and it worked but the display name stays the same so it doesn't save more than once due to the same file name.

Would you happen to know if, once the file is saved, it can be renamed with the current month or date?

Thank you again

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes it is possible.

I'm just thinking why you would need to do such a thing. As SharePoint is document management storage system, there is on background automatically kept all history of changes on documents stored there. And also all files when they are deleted from SharePoint document library are kept in SharePoint site bin for some amount of days untill fully deleted.

But yes if you would like to mirror what is SharePoint doing in nature, you can create Flow that will take all items inside SharePoint document library each week for example and create copy of such file (content of file) in another library or Folder.

Actions are SharePoint get file content and Sharepoint create file.

If you want to list all items in library there is also action named SharePoint get files.

P.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @vecerpa

It's because we wouldn't want to sort through all the edit histories and want the spreadsheet from a specific point in time to look back. I tried what you mentioned (SharePoint get file content and Sharepoint create file) but the file content converted to something else than an Excel file and could not open.

I then tried Get file metadata then Copy file and it worked but the display name stays the same so it doesn't save more than once due to the same file name.

Would you happen to know if, once the file is saved, it can be renamed with the current month or date?

Thank you again

Anonymous
Not applicable

I answered my second question (rename as date and year) in a different post! Thank you

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Rename-SharePoint-File-that-was-Copied-to-another...

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 4,630 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: