cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobFischer
Advocate II
Advocate II

Flow to convert xls to xlsx

Please stop accepting UI flows or plumsail as a solution to these posts. Neither of these are acceptable solutions to what should have been available via Power Automate before it was even called that. 

We need a way to automatically convert an xls file to an xlsx file as part of a flow. (i.e. receive an email of a xls file, convert it, and save as an xlsx file to sharepoint) 

Please Please Please. You cannot have Power BI only allow xlsx files as a data source but nor offer a way to convert to them!

Rob

5 REPLIES 5
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RobFischer ,

I'm not sure why you said that plumsail action can't be the solution, but actually, the 'Convert XLS to XLSX' action from Plumsail works properly on my side. Here is my flow for your reference, I use replace function to modify the file name.

Snipaste_2020-11-24_11-25-42.png

Please refer to above steps and try again, if it still doesn't work, please share more details about the error to help us investigate the issue.

Hope this helps.

Sik

Plum sail works great but it’s a paid option. It also doesn’t meet the data security rules of some clients so it isn’t an option there. This is something Microsoft should offer. Plain and simple. 

Hi @RobFischer ,

Okay. As far as I know, there is no other method at this moment.

Maybe you can submit a Support Ticket to Microsoft for further assistance.

Hope this helps.

Sik

BIAEON_Helpdesk
Regular Visitor

I have just solved this issue. We can use the Google drive connector. On the settings of Google drive, please choose the option "convert uploaded files to Google Docs editor format", and then upload your template excel to google drive in order to make a master file for store data form xls files.

Let's start to the flow
Firstly, create the flow to upload your xls files to Google drive.

Secondly, use "Get file content by using path" of Google drive to copy data from xls files uploaded to Google drive.

Thirdly, use "Update file" of Google drive to update the master file (you have uploaded before) to store the data content from xls file

Fourthly, use "Get rows" of Google drive (remember to set the limit of rows up to 5000) to get the rows from Master file.

Finally, use "Add a row into a table" of Excel online to get the exact collumn you want to get and store to the excel file.

That's all my flow to convert xls to xlsx file with no cost

StNi
Regular Visitor

I'm having exact the same issues. Third party tools are not an option. I don't get how Power BI is not capable to load xls files into dataflows right away and then Flows also don't offer the option to convert.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (3,113)