Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Radoslavov
Helper V
Helper V

Flow to identify patterns in email address

Hi All,

I have the following idea and i'm not sure how to start it.

In our company we allow people to dowlonad a tria for our product after registering on the site, however i found (manually by accident) that there are a lot of abusive reocrds created, almost same name (with changed alphabet and/or number) and same domaina:

for example

someone1@test.com

someone2@test.com

someone3@test.com

someone4@test.com

someone1a@test.com

someone1b@test.com

and etc.

I want to build a flow to be able to idenfity such paterns or at least to get the total number of records having the same domain name (not that particular one, but in general.

For example Select all Accounts where part the Email address is the same, i know said that way sounds idiotic 😄 but i hope you got my point what i'm trying to achive. Having that list will allows us to block this domain to register, and i know that there will be many more to come, so this will be a cat-mouse ongoing game.

Any suggestions are welcomed

Thanks and regards

Kiril

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paulie78
Super User III
Super User III

Regex isn't supported in Power Automate - but I did write up a way of performing regex on my blog:

How to use Regular Expressions in Power Automate 

A regular expression would help you validate a valid email pattern, but I don't think it would help much in this case (because they are valid email patterns). You could certainly use a regex to capture every email from a particular domain (such as test.com). But really it would be better to use something on the website to stop the fictional entries in the first place.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NorthernChuck
Helper III
Helper III

Regular Expressions (regex) is best suited for these types of matches and I'm not sure if PowerAutomate supports that kinds of search/replace. 
It is not impossible to accomplish in Power Automate though, you'll just have to go about it a little differently. Your first step is connecting to your data. Get that done first!
Once you are connected to your data, then you need to put it somewhere for parsing. Once it is in that "somewhere", then you can begin parsing. Just start simple like group all the domains together and count the rows. If greater than 'x' send email alert. Build up from there. 

Paulie78
Super User III
Super User III

Regex isn't supported in Power Automate - but I did write up a way of performing regex on my blog:

How to use Regular Expressions in Power Automate 

A regular expression would help you validate a valid email pattern, but I don't think it would help much in this case (because they are valid email patterns). You could certainly use a regex to capture every email from a particular domain (such as test.com). But really it would be better to use something on the website to stop the fictional entries in the first place.

View solution in original post

Agreed -> but now we are into a design thread with a data validation topic 🙂 Thanks for sharing the link btw.

Cheers, 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,212)