cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Flow to move a library folder up 1 level based on a list column status

Hello

I have inherited looking after our team's SharePoint page and have very little knowledge or experience with SharePoint and workflows etc. The previous person setup many good workflows with SharePoint Designer. There is one workflow for new projects where when a new project is added to a list there is a project number generated and a corresponding folder created with that number in a library. I want to create a flow so that when the project list item has a 'status' column changed to complete the corresponding library folder moves up a level to a folder called archive. Please advise of the best way to do this? Thank you.

Regards

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Flow to move a library folder up 1 level based on a list column status

Hi!

The first step is then to set up a flow when an item is updated, and evaluate Status column value. My suggestion is to have a look to this recent thread

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Sharepoint-flow-creation/m-p/491970#M60876

So you need a trigger, you need a condition to evaluate, and...

In oder to move the file, I would recommend you to explore Move file action block from Sharepoint connector. If it match your requirements, I would add it inside your condition true branch.

Please note if your flow need to update the item, you can enter a neverending execution loop.

Please also note if the Status value is kept as is, and the item is updated again in the future, your flow will be executed again and condition will also be true.

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi!
Can you share a screenshot of your SP list column definition? So is 'status' column of type Choice, how is reference to the corresponding library document stored, etc?
Thanx!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

column properties.JPG

Hi - the status column is setup as a choice. I think the list entry is referenced in the library folder by the title column and the folder number column

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi!

The first step is then to set up a flow when an item is updated, and evaluate Status column value. My suggestion is to have a look to this recent thread

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Sharepoint-flow-creation/m-p/491970#M60876

So you need a trigger, you need a condition to evaluate, and...

In oder to move the file, I would recommend you to explore Move file action block from Sharepoint connector. If it match your requirements, I would add it inside your condition true branch.

Please note if your flow need to update the item, you can enter a neverending execution loop.

Please also note if the Status value is kept as is, and the item is updated again in the future, your flow will be executed again and condition will also be true.

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nick_k,

@efialttes's advice is very accurate. You can build your Flow by following the links he provides. If you have problem when you building Flow, please feel free and I could give you some advice.

And there is an item be modified and its value of Status is Complete, move the file, how do you store file information into the item? Filename or folder path?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thank you both for your replies. How do I ensure the flow is going to move the correct folder? I'm unsure what action should go in the yes condition? Underneath the condition I have a move folder action, is this correct? Please see screen shots below.

archive flow.JPGarchive flow 2.JPG

Regards

Nick

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi!
I think you gave the answer in your first post
"when a new project is added to a list there is a project number generated and a corresponding folder created with that number in a library"

Try to build the target folder name by using that number... since the number is stored in a column of your SP list, right?
Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes the folder is created with the number that is generated. but how do you specify that specific folder for moving? Also do i need to put any actions in the 'if yes' and 'if no section'?

Regards

Nick

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi
I think it will be easier if you provide us an example: this folder is called xxx and the 'number' is stored in a SP list column called yyy. The column is defined of type ( number, single line of text,...)
Thanx!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The folder name is a combination of 2 column values, the Folder No and Title Column. EG the folder is called XXX-OS-455-Network Install. The XXX-OS-455 comes from the Folder No column and the Network Install comes from the Title column.

Sorry for the back and forth, I'm really quite a novice with Flow... 😞

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi  efialttes.

I have my flow working and i'm very happy. Thank you for your advice!

Regards

Nick

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,960)