Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julien2
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Flow to update SharePoint items based on ID

Hello everyone !

I have created a new Flow that will trigger user location, and current time using the Flow mobile app.

Inside my flow i have dropdown list contain 2 values are: Check-In & Check-Out.

When the user Check-In the flow will create new item in SharePoint list and it will update the CheckIn location and CheckInTime columns. 

On Check-Out i have a problem occur which update all items created to the current Date & Time in CheckOutTime column, and location of Check-Out column.

Different Items but same userDifferent Items but same user

This is the flow i created:

I have also tried to use Filter Query in get items but i got no results:

EmployeeName/EMail eq '@{triggerOutputs()['headers']['x-ms-user-email-encoded']}'

Suppose i have different users and each user have many daily visits, how can i trigger and update the fields in the list based on item ID of the specific user. Can someone provide example how to deal with this issue ?

Thank you!!

22 REPLIES 22
Pstork1
Most Valuable Professional

I think the problem is that when you update the checkout you are filtering just on the user, so it will update the checkout time on every record for that user.  What you need to do is query on both the user and the current value of the checkout time or a status field that the user is checked in.  That should only return one record since the user shouldn't be checked in at two places.  Then update that record.  I would suggest adding a status field that shows whether the user is checked in or not because that will be easier to filter on than the checkout time column.  But either will work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi @Pstork1 

I created Status column in SharePoint list, and i add the values of the status based on the input of the user when he run the flow.

As i understand from you i have modified the query to:

EmployeeName/EMail eq '@{triggerOutputs()['headers']['x-ms-user-email-encoded']}' and Status eq 'Check-In'

Now the query works and it updates the date and time to the right user.

But now another problem occur when i test it on 2 different users and i run the flow at the same time.

User1 check-in at 4:59 check-out at 5:02:18 (When the user1 came back to checkout again the flow fails and the fields are not updated in the list).

CheckOutFails.PNG

Here is the flow result of Bassily when he check-out after julien did:

FlowFails.PNG

The update item is not clickable to check for results..

User2 check-in at 5:01 check-out at 5:02:15 (Here this row is affected and updated successfully).

Many users will use this flow, so how to deal with this issue ?

Thank you!

Pstork1

how can user 1 check out again without checking back in?  When a user checks in his status should be set to checked In.  Then when they check out it will find them and record the check out.  You can't do a check out without a check in.

@Pstork1 

User1 already checked in, then i move to User2 and i checked in, the fields are updated. 

Then when i checked out from User2 the status is updated to checked out and the other fields..

But when i get back to User1 to check-out the flow did not update the checkout fields for User1 while he already checked in.

He should not check-in again because for example i want to know the user when did he start the meeting with the client and when did he finish. So if he check-in again the CheckInTime will be updated to the time he finished the meeting while it should only update the time he checked out for.

Pstork1

YOu need to keep the CheckedIn/Out status for each user.  So when user1 checks in his status is set to checkedin,  Then when user 2 checks in his status is set to checkedin, Then when user2 checks out his status is set to checked out, but user 1 remains with a status or CheckedIn.  So when he checks out you can record his time and change his status to checked out.

@Pstork1 

Yes the CheckedIn/Out Status are set by default while running the flow depending on the value selected.

The problem is when user2 checks out and user1 get back to check-out the flow fail to update the item of user1.

So the flow is not triggering back the user1 item id to update the status to checked out and record the current time.

What should i change in my flow ?

Here is my flow to update fields:

Thank you!

Pstork1

I think your Get Items may be setup with the wrong query.  YOu are checking whether Status is set to Check-in, but when setting it the name was Status Value.  I would suggest taking a look at the results of a run to make sure your queries are working correctly.  Otherwise the code looks solid from a logical point of view

Hi @Pstork1 

The query i created is showing the right result but if i checkedout from any user once and i get back to checkedout from any other user the flow fails maybe because the flow are unable to find the itemID of the user who is already checkedIn before.

The flow is not updating items on Check-Out after running it twice from different users. 

I take a look to the result of User1, after User2 already checkedout before User1 and here are the result:

Thank you!

Pstork1

If the status is stored for each user in the record when you check them in then you should still find that one record where the userid of the first user is checked in.  Either your checkout process is setting all the status's to checked out or something else is misfiring.  The logic is correct.  You need to find out why checking out user 2 is resetting the status for user 1 to checked out.

Hi @Pstork1 

The checkout process is setting the status's to checked out depending on selection value from the dropdown (Check-Out) when the user trigger the flow.
But the problem if user1 checked in and checked out and user2 was already checked in and came back to checkout again the flow is unable to find the itemID to update the item of this user that's the problem.

Can you test the flow and see the results please ?

What we should do to trigger back the itemid of each user?

Pstork1

Can you show me what the list columns look like for the SharePoint list you are using to store the information. Also the formulas used on your Checkin and CheckOut,  Then I'll put together a prototype and test it.

Hi @Pstork1 

Sure, here is my SharePoint List columns:

Location Dashboard List.PNG

• EmployeeName column type is Person or Group.
  • CheckIn column type is Single line of text.
  • CheckInTime column type is Date & Time (Include Time).
  • CheckOut column type is Signle line of text.
  • CheckOutTime column type is Date & Time (Include Time).
  • Status column type is Choice and the values are (CheckIn & CheckOut)

I am not using formulas for CheckIn & CheckOut.

Here is my flow:

Thank you !

Pstork1

Thanks.  I'll see if I can't put together a POC and figure out where the issue is.

Pstork1

Ok, so I did some research and prototyped your setup.  The problem is that you can't use an OData query based on email address to filter a People column.  OData queries against people fields require the use of the $expand operator, which isn't supported in Flow Odata queries.  What you can do instead is do your OData filter on the status column and then use a Filter Array action on the result to filter out just the user you want.  Make sure you filter on the EmployeeName Email field and not just EmployeeName. YOu also need to be carefult to process the filtered array and not the original get items.  Here are screenshots

screenshot.pngscreenshot.jpg

Hi @Pstork1 ,

It's a good point about OData query. I followed your steps now and build the flow but i have question.

How did u process the filtered array (ID & Title) in Update items?

Because when i click on dynamic content i didn't find the ID and title to select them from the array.

Thank you!

Pstork1

Sometimes those items will show in dynamic content and sometimes they won't.  Use the Expressions tab you can enter the JSON for them manually.  use the following for each.

items('Apply_to_each')?['ID']
items('Apply_to_each')?['Title']

If you hover over the items that have been loaded with dynamic content the tooltip will show you this JSON formatting.  That way you can begin to learn what it should be if dynamic content filters it out.

@Pstork1 

Okay,so i have added those expressions and i test the flow for one user and works fine.

But when i tried again to check in & check out on 2 different users at the same time, the flow is not reading the update items to update the item again.

Since the results in the flow is showing in the filter array that has found the right id for the right user.

Here are the results:

ArrayResults.PNG

ScreenShotII.PNG

But why the flow is not jumping to the update items action it's weird..

Thank you!

Pstork1

Something about your coding of the filter array is wrong.  You can see the records in the input, but Output from the filter array is empty.  That means that something isn't right about the filter.  The output should show one and only one record.

@Pstork1 

But the flow works perfectly if i use it for 1 user why it should be wrong if i use the flow for more than 2 users at the same time ?

I modified the flow as yours, and i used EmployeeName Email as you said in the array.

LatestFLow.PNG

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Tuesday Tips: Community Ranks and YOU

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!This Week: Community Ranks--Moving from "Member" to "Community Champion"   Have you ever wondered how your fellow community members ascend the ranks within our community? What sets apart an Advocate from a Helper, or a Solution Sage from a Community Champion? In today’s #TuesdayTip, we’re unveiling the secrets and sharing tips to help YOU elevate your ranking—and why it matters to our vibrant communities. Community ranks serve as a window into a member’s role and activity. They celebrate your accomplishments and reveal whether someone has been actively contributing and assisting others. For instance, a Super User is someone who has been exceptionally helpful and engaged. Some ranks even come with special permissions, especially those related to community management. As you actively participate—whether by creating new topics, providing solutions, or earning kudos—your rank can climb. Each time you achieve a new rank, you’ll receive an email notification. Look out for the icon and rank name displayed next to your username—it’s a badge of honor! Fun fact: Your Community Engagement Team keeps an eye on these ranks, recognizing the most passionate and active community members. So shine brightly with valuable content, and you might just earn well-deserved recognition! Where can you see someone’s rank? When viewing a post, you’ll find a member’s rank to the left of their name.Click on a username to explore their profile, where their rank is prominently displayed. What about the ranks themselves? New members start as New Members, progressing to Regular Visitors, and then Frequent Visitors.Beyond that, we have a categorized system: Kudo Ranks: Earned through kudos (teal icons).Post Ranks: Based on your posts (purple icons).Solution Ranks: Reflecting your solutions (green icons).Combo Ranks: These orange icons combine kudos, solutions, and posts. The top ranks have unique names, making your journey even more exciting! So dive in, collect those kudos, share solutions, and let’s see how high you can rank!  🌟 🚀   Check out the Using the Community boards in each of the communities for more helpful information!  Power Apps, Power Automate, Copilot Studio & Power Pages

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Users online (6,169)