cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pawel1169
Regular Visitor

Flow with Azure Devops - populate Created By and use notifications

I have a set of Flows creating Devops work items from e-mails or MS Forms responses.

I want to use the Devops notifications, specifically notify the person submitting a work item of any changes such as state changes, comments. The best way to do so seems to be Members of GROUP by Role. However, I can only select system fields: Assigned To and Created By.

Flow_createdBY.png

Now to the key issue. When a work item is created via a Flow, it is the account with relevant connector (here, Devops) that is by default populated into the system field Created By and not author of the e-mail or Form response. In other words, when a Flow is set up on my account, I would be the user in CreatedBy in all items. On the Flow, I can only make it populate other values to custom fields, but then those won't be available for selection in the Notifications setup.

Previously, up until a few months ago, Devops rules allowed overwriting some of the system fields, including Created By. So here's what happened:

1. work item is created with default Created By - the user whose Flow is used

2. Flow populated the real author of my item (from e-mail or Forms) to a custom field Reporter.

3. Upon work item being created, Devops rule copied value from Reporter to CreatedBy.

Devops_reporter.png

This is now not possible - system fields are not available for selection in the drop-down. 

What I also tried:

- I thought that the restriction is only upon item creation, so I added a Flow step to update a work item with my CreatedBy, but this didn't work.

- In Flow, I used a couple variations of the field name: Created By (flow successful, but still the default value saved there), System_CreatedBy (field not recognized)

Any other suggestions to make use of the system notifications? I wanted to save my limited Flow executions and not set up notifications there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pawel1169
Regular Visitor

Actually, I just learnt that even though CreatedBy is not available in the drop-down menu in Devops rule actions, you can type it manually and it works.

It is something MS is working on, but in the meantime you just need to be aware of this workaround. Topic solved.

Devops_reporter.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Pawel1169
Regular Visitor

Actually, I just learnt that even though CreatedBy is not available in the drop-down menu in Devops rule actions, you can type it manually and it works.

It is something MS is working on, but in the meantime you just need to be aware of this workaround. Topic solved.

Devops_reporter.png

Hi @Pawel1169 , I am trying the same what you suggested but I am getting error as shown in below images. Please help me on this..

prachi1902_0-1631086663966.png

Even when I am simply writing Created By or Changed By or any other field then also it is showing error as :

prachi1902_1-1631086751201.png

Pawel1169
Regular Visitor

Hi @prachi1902 

Since this discussion has been closed, MS changed something and you can't manually type in the Created By field in there. The only other solution I know is via API and I've been asking my chief Azure Devops admins to create such rules for me. With API you can build a simple app that would create such rule for you and that's something I've used for some time now.

I'm afraid I can't be of more help beyond this. Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (2,455)