cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arutledge
Level: Powered On

Flow with recurring tasks

We are currently using Planner to handle ad hoc tasks, but want to set up a recurring task tracker. I have been looking into Lists, but am struggling with how to set up flow. I would ideally like it so that reminder emails, approval emails (or completion emails), etc. are all automated. I keep getting stuck with the get an item/select an item to trigger in flow- and nothing works from there. I have a view set for recurring on the list to only show due or soon to be due items- but it keeps telling me to select a list.  I have also tried send for aproval, send email with options, etc.- and none of them will let me test the flow.  Suggestions on how best to make this work? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Flow with recurring tasks

@arutledge:

Thanks for the explanation.  Is there any additional information that I can provide?  Is so, please post here.  If not, please mark your post as Solved.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @arutledge,

Sorry for couldn't understand your requirement clearly.

Could you please explain more details about your requirement and your problem?

Please share more details so we would try to provide a proper workaround for you.

Best regards,

Alice

arutledge

So we handle two types of reporting- ad hoc and recurring (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually) Right now there is a flow that takes the ad hoc request to Planner- where they are assigned and tracked. We do not currently have a system for recurring tasks. 

I had seen that it is not possible to set up recurring tasks in Planner, and was trying to create a workaround using Sharepoint Lists. But I am having a hard time getting all of it to work right. 

These are the flows I have set up: 

flow.JPG

So an approval email based on what is due in the list, and the list view set to show only things due that day. 

Can I incorporate Planner into this so that all of our tasks are seen in one place? And will the task get marked off if the list gets marked off? 

Super User
Super User

@arutledge:

While I am not 100% clear on your requirement, I believe that I can offer some guidance.

First, you can use a recurrence trigger to create planner tasks on a schedule - I'm not sure why you are using the SharePoint list.

Planner1.jpg

Also, in order to filter the data that you get back from SharePoint, you need to use an ODATA filter - you cannot filter the data returned from SharePoint by referencing a view.  Whe you select a view in the Get Items configuration, the columns returned are limited to the columns in that view, but all the data is returned.

Here is a link to get started with ODATA filters

You mention that you want to use an approval.  Can you explain a bit more about your requirements for doing approvals?

Scott

Scott
arutledge

I had started using the SharePoint list as a workaround for not being able to set up recurring tasks in Planner. I had seen that in another message, so I tried to replicate their process.  I am good with getting rid of the Sharepoint list- it has been a learning curve to figure out. Thanks for the advice. 

list2.JPG

We are using approvals to mark tasks off of the list.  So the flow would send the approval email, and if approved them add it to the list. 

I have someone who doesn't like to use Planner/Lists/etc. so the approval email was a great way of tracking if they completed the task or not. 

Super User
Super User

@arutledge:

Thanks for the explanation.  Is there any additional information that I can provide?  Is so, please post here.  If not, please mark your post as Solved.

Scott

Scott

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 78 members 3,680 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: