cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MrNigel
Level 8

Folder Path vs. Library name

Scratching my head on this one and run out of URL combinations to try.  I have a Flow that copies an email attchment into a DocLib folder, this works as expected:FlowSaveAtt.PNGThe document is created in the '1-Registration' folder in the default DocLib.  I now want to update the file properties but the SPS Action doesn't allow me to pick Site/Folder, it asks for Site/Library name!  FlowFileProp.PNG

So my question is, how can I update the file properties of a document sitting in a folder within a library.  Yes, I have tried every combination URL in the Library name field, but it will only accept a Library, not a folder within a library.  I am thinking of creating a new 'Temporary' DocLib, creating the file there, updating the properties, then moving it to the correct '1 - Registration' library.  However can anyone explain why the Create File screen asks for Site/Folder and the Update Properties action asks for Site/Library?

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Folder Path vs. Library name

Hi @MrNigel,

I think you could use Get file metadata using path to get the itemId of the file, and then use Update file properties to update the file's properties.

49.PNG

As for what you said " why the Create File screen asks for Site/Folder and the Update Properties action asks for Site/Library?", my understanding is that the latter is similar to updating list item, Library is similar to list, and the file is equivalent to item, so When updating file Properties, it is similar to updating the column of the list item.

So when configuring Update file properties, it is similar to Update item, which needs library name(list name), then Id(item id).

And Create file is the same as all the files created, the specified folder, the location of the file.

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MrNigel
Level 8

Re: Folder Path vs. Library name

Hi Barry,

Tks, I wilI give this workaround a try next week.  I understand the similarities regarding Libs/Lists and have used your suggestion in the past, but IMHO the CRUD fields should all be the same for each action, even if it means there are two separate sets of Lib and List actions.

Nigel

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,846)