Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luvagoldenk9
Helper II
Helper II

Format Date on Second Record Read into Flow

Hello!

I have a power automate that is triggered when a new Audit record is added to a Share Point Request list. That record contains the  ID of the parent record that it is associated with:

ID (auto assigned by Share Point)ID of the Parent
Share Point List Audit158
Share Point List Summary8 

The Audit record is read first and then the ID of the Parent is used to read the Summary record. The flow is formatting an email and needs to format the Summary record Created (only want the date portion, not the time). When formatting the email, the Summary record 'Created' does not show up in the Dynamic content to select.

After the read of the Summary record, I tried to insert an Initialize Variable (and then was going to do substring to extract only the date portion):

Power App Error.jpg

The flow errors with:

Flow save failed with code 'InvalidVariableInitialization' and message 'The variable action 'Initialize_variable' of type 'InitializeVariable' cannot be nested in an action of type 'Apply_to_each'.'.

Any thoughts on how to get the Create (date portion only) from a second record that is read in a flow?

Thank you in advance for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
mahoneypat
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

You can initialize your variable before the Apply to Each and then use Set variable to change it to the value from the current item with each iteration.  Also, you can format your Created datetime within the Apply To Each using item() in an Expression.

For example,

formatDateTime(item()?['Created'], 'MM/dd/yyyy')

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about the Power Platform, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hi Pat!

Thank you for the quick response.

I had to initialize an array variable and saved the formatted Create date per your format DateTime guidance.

When the array variable for Create date is referenced in the email, the date displays as:

["02/15/2021"]

Do you know if there is a way to clean up the array variable (remove the leading [" and trailing "]) so that only the date 02/15/2021 is displayed? Thank you for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,570)