Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amapola188
Advocate II
Advocate II

Formatting SharePoint Currency values

Good Afternoon!

This is more of a question in principle. I have a flow where I collect information from SharePoint for an approval and a subsequent notification email. I have two amount columns and they are both essentially formatted as currency but one of them is a calculated field.

I'm trying to format the number in the flow as currency as well. I've both tried the formatNumber expression and the Format Number action. Neither works and the error message says that expect input is a number (integer or decimal) but provided was a string.

Interesting enough, it seems to work for the calculated column but not for the Currency column. I would have expected for both columns the value to be passed to Power Automate to be a number. 

Everything I tried doesn't want to deal with the string. How can I format the amount into a usable format?

And how can I find out how the values come across? I'm using the same input in a previous action and as it displays 50.000000, that looks like a number to me.

Thanks,

Christine

6 REPLIES 6
fchopo
Super User
Super User

Hi @Amapola188 

Have you tried to use the Format Number action?:

Format-numbers-in-Power-Automate

Hope it helps!

Ferran

Did I answer your question? Please consider to mark my post as a solution to help others.
Proud to be a Flownaut!
Amapola188
Advocate II
Advocate II

@fchopo 

Yes, but that also expects a number as input and the amount seems to come from SharePoint as a string.

I think this action is really just the FormatNumber expression packed up ..

Hi @Amapola188 

I have a list like this:

list.png

Price is of type "Currency".

Then, I can use the Format Number action to get the number in the desired format:

format-number.png

And the ouput is:

output-format.png

Hope it helps!

Ferran

Did I answer your question? Please consider to mark my post as a solution to help others.
Proud to be a Flownaut!

@fchopo 

Hola Ferran

I have two fields, one is a currency field as you have above and yes, the format number action seems to work on that one. 

The other field is a calculated field - formatted in SharePoint as currency. And Format Number doesn't seem to work for that. Hence my question, how do these column behave and why don't they behave the same?

Thanks,

Christine

fchopo
Super User
Super User

Hello Christine,

Could you share the calculation expression in SharePoint? If you're using concat operations or mixing types, it will probably return a string value.

Please, use the VALUE function (microsoft.com) in SharePoint to return a number instead of a string (if you have permissions to do it!).

Hope it helps!

Ferran

Proud to be a Flownaut!

@fchopo 

Hi Ferran

Below settings for the SharePoint column, with =VALUE() wrapped around it - made no difference however.

Amapola188_2-1637872162027.png

This is the flow run ... I really don't know what the problem is. The output looks like a number to me!

Amapola188_3-1637872214937.png

And here's the code. I had to add the Compose action because the calculated value Total is not available from the dynamic content.

Amapola188_4-1637872328595.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (4,359)