cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TreeTree123

Forms to Repeating Table in Word Template

Hi,

I'm just starting to learn Power Automate / Flow and don't have much coding experience so please bear with me. I'm sure this can be done but after viewing several blogs, and youtube videos I'm stuck. I want to collect data using a team form and populate a word template. One form question asks for a list of names and asks it to be entered in as "John Doe; Jane Done;" using a semicolon as the delimiter. Now I want to use this data in a word template repeating row.  I start out by initializing a string variable put the data into it, then use split to break using the semi-colon and put it into an array variable. Now I need to use the repeating rows in word template but I'm not sure how to assign each value of the array to the word content control.

I thought maybe there's a way to run append to variable and assign the "content control": to every index in the array using a counter....but I don't know how many items will be in the array. 

Any suggestions? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1jsBllmr-w&list=PLD3GzKvO_J2LQaYe1mbS64UBl2WeBhXMy&index=4&t=338s

https://www.intergen.co.nz/blog/Bertus-Malan/dates/2019/10/Microsoft-Flow-Dynamics-templates/

4 REPLIES 4
abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @TreeTree123 

Flow doesn't support repeating rows in templates.

This post will show you a work around.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/intermediate-flow-of-the-week-create-pdf-invoices-using-word-t...

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

Flow does support repeating rows. In the link, you provided they actually use repeating rows by using an array that assigns each variable from a SharePoint list to a word content control. I'm trying to do something similar but I'm not pulling for a sharepoint list like they are in the vid. 

Hi @TreeTree123 

Ok thanks for letting me know.

So the idea is you need to construct all your results in an array so that you can populate in a word template.

This post might help and give you an idea.

https://www.bythedevs.com/post/how-to-populate-a-word-template-with-repeating-control

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

This article doesn't address the issue since it too pulls data from a SharePoint list that's formatted, in an array and is available through dynamic content. I'm using forms as input. One question asks for everyone that is a consultant and to list the names by first last using ; as a delimiter. I split this variable into an array and I know how to find the array's length. How do I cycle through all of the array's indexes without encountering an error? Apparently I can't call the index using a variable....indexOf('variable Array' [variable counter])...gives an error..see screenshot.

I think I need to use Append Array to add the Position Title which links to the word content control and call all the indexes of the arrary using length of the array since I don't always know how many records there'll be.

Do until CounterVar  = Array Length

{

"Position Tile" : indexOf(variable 'IMSarray') [ counter])

}

flow-overview.JPGinitvarSplit.JPGerror.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,015)