cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S_D_Andrews
Level: Powered On

Forms to SharePoint Workflow - Capturing data outside of the SharePoint list

Hi all

Scenario: I've built an approval workflow that begins with Forms.  Once a user has submitted a Forms form, the data is piped into a SharePoint list, where it awaits for an approval workflow to complete. This is all working as expected.   But.  I have a need to capture some information from the approving party without giving them access to the source SharePoint list.

Can anyone think of any suggestions on how to get around this?  I've considered a dynamic filter in a SharePoint view that'll show only the relevant list items to the person logged in but this is only a "smoke and mirrors" solution.  I'm not sure SharePoint permissions are granular enough for me to focus here.  Nor are there item level permission actions with OOB Flow.

If anyone has come across this scenario before, some pointers would be appreciated.
Best

Steve

4 REPLIES 4
SCTdan
Level 8

Re: Forms to SharePoint Workflow - Capturing data outside of the SharePoint list

What info do you need to capture from the approving party?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Forms to SharePoint Workflow - Capturing data outside of the SharePoint list

@S_D_Andrews 

The is likely no reason that the approver needs any access to the SharePoint list.  You can include all information from the list that the approver might need in the email/notification that goes to the approver.  It is not required for a link to the item be included in the approval email.

When the list is updated after the approval completes, the update is done via the connection used for the update item action - usually the individual who created the Flow.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
S_D_Andrews

Some custom fields that are in the List.  The basic premise is that Forms is being used as an introductory form for submitting recognition forms for colleagues. 

The form via Flow pipes its feedback to a SharePoint list, then emails the appropriate manager.  What I need to address is the manager being able to submit some additional comments and a few choice fields.

S_D_Andrews

@ScottShearer 

Thanks for the info, lets make sure I'm not misunderstanding.  The Approval action in Flow can't be customised with fields from a Custom SharePoint list I'm thinking.  Thus, how would the Approval form, beyond the Comments box, be able to update the list?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,756)