Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pitfrog1
Level: Powered On

General question status change flow

Hi Guys,

I am relatively new to MS Flow.

I built my first app on PowerApps (thats my frontend) and now I want to build the backend (flows) for my app.

In my case it's about requests.

My first use case is that when a request got accepted and someone is working on, the status is set on "In progress". This will trigger the flow because the list item got modified.

Then I have a switch case between several status changes, e.g. "in progress", "Closed", "Escalated" and so on.

Status "In progress":

First it will check if this status was reached before, if yes do nothing, if no send an email to the requester that someone is working on the request. The agent has 5 days to finish the request otherwise he will get a reminder that the assigned request is overdue. For that I am delaying within the switch case for five days. After that I will "Get items" from the list to check if status is still "In progress" or anything else. I do not want to send a reminder when the agent closed the request.

But my question is, as I am delaying the flow, hence I am in the switch case "In progress", what happens when in the meantime my agent close/ escalate the request, how can the flow switch to the next case "Closed"/"Escalated" and do what is defined in there?

Maybe the flow will run everytime the trigger got caused even though another one is still running. Because I am failry new I want to check with possibility will be the right.

Would be nice if someone could help me out and enlighten me.

BR
Pitfrog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: General question status change flow

Hi @Pitfrog1 

I don't see any way of filtering with that trigger unfortunately.

As you are using PowerApps as your front end, it may be worth looking at how to call Flow direct from PowerApps. This will give you more control over when the process should be fired. Documentation can be found here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/using-logic-flows

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Super User
Super User

Hi @Pitfrog1 

As your trigger is on the change of Status, a new instance of your Flow will run each time the Status changes. You can check on the running instances from the details page for your flow.

image.png

You are correct to check the value of the request after the delay as it is quite possible that it may have been updated before the 5 days have passed.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Pitfrog1

@LeeHarris 

thanks for your fast reply. I figured it out that my flow is running everytime the trigger got activated. Not really good, but I guess there is no way for let the flow trigger when a certain column got modified, right?

Another questions or another observation I#ve made, when I change to fast the status' in the PowerApps the flows won't trigger, or at just one or two times.

Is there a limit? Tbh I can't tell the people who are using the app that they are not allowed to work faster

BR
Pitfrog

Super User
Super User

Hi @Pitfrog1 

What are you using as your Trigger Action? Some triggers do allow for filtering on certain properties.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Pitfrog1

@LeeHarris 

SharePoint: When an item is created or modified

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @Pitfrog1 

I don't see any way of filtering with that trigger unfortunately.

As you are using PowerApps as your front end, it may be worth looking at how to call Flow direct from PowerApps. This will give you more control over when the process should be fired. Documentation can be found here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/using-logic-flows

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

Pitfrog1

@LeeHarris 

thanks for providing me this link. I will look into it 🙂

Do you also know how fast a flow gets triggered? As I mentioned before, I do have a flow that tracks all changes made on the status column for later analysis. But I've observed that when I change to fast a status on my PowerApp the flow just tracks only one.

Let's say I change the status within the app twice in a minute. Flow won't create me two items on a seperate SP lists but just the latest one. Do you know anything about how "fast" a flow gets triggered?

If I change the status within the app the SP list gets updated and I see the changes immediately after refreshing the SP list site.

BR
Pitfrog

Super User
Super User

Hi @Pitfrog1 

It used to be a case that different plans had different run frequencies (with the most frequent being 1 minute) but where the licensing has changed recently it now looks as though there is no defined frequency limit other than what each connector can handle. It may just be that the SharePoint connector is not registering the first change as the second is happening so soon after.

If I have helped answer your question please click the Accept as Solution button as it will help others who have similar questions find the answer and resolve them more easily.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Pitfrog1

So I assume that it would be better to execute the flow (tracking status changes) by clicking a PowerApps Button, right?

My idea would be to put a flow behind every button in my PowerApp that changes the status, e.g. Button to close the request.

Would that solve the problem and track every status change?

BR
Pitfrog

Super User
Super User

Hi @Pitfrog1 

Yes, that sounds like a suitable approach. On click of the button, update the status in SharePoint and then call the notification Flow direct from PowerApps, rather than triggering it on the SharePoint change. The Flow should run every time the button is pressed then.

The only downside to doing it this way is that if the status in SharePoint is changed via some other means outside of your PowerApp then the notification Flow wont send the alert. If you trigger on change of the data via the SharePoint connector then it would fire regardless of how the value was updated. If your users are only using the PowerApp then this isn't a problem but something to keep in mind.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Pitfrog1

Perfect,

I thank you very much. Now I have a more holistic view of my use case 😄

BR
Pitfrog

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,406)