cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jogilvie
Level: Power Up

Get Excel cell value from one column when the row value of another column is empty

I have a series of one time use codes in an Excel file hosted on OneDrive that I need to provide to users in our organization as requested. I am building a flow such that once an MS Form response is received, I would like to:

1. Get the next available (unused) code from column A and use it as dymanic content in an email

2. Update the row value for column B with the form respondent's email address, as taken from dymanic text of the form.

I've got the form response trigger done, and an email prepared with everything but the code value (from step 1). I have no Idea how to do the work on the Excel side to get the value from A or populate the value in B.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Get Excel cell value from one column when the row value of another column is empty

Hi @jogilvie,

Could you please share more details about the Excel file which is hosted on OneDrive?

Does the Excel file have a table and have only one rows for it?or if the excel table have many row,which row you want to have operation on it?

I have made a test on it, you could refer to screenshot below to create the flow:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Note:

The Condition in my flow is to get only one row which I want to have operation on.

Best regards,

Alice

jogilvie
Level: Power Up

Re: Get Excel cell value from one column when the row value of another column is empty

Hi Alice,

My Excel file has a table with 5 columns.

Column A: a series of row values representing available license codes available to students

Column B: currrently empty. Will contain student first names

Column C: currently empty. Will contain student last names

Column D: currently empty. Will contain student ID numbers

Column E: currently empty. Will contain student email addresses

Table Image Here

My flow currently populates dymanic content from a MS Form, with survey respondent informaiton forming the data I would like to populate in columns B-E. What I am hoping to do is have the flow identify the next available code (i.e. no values in cols B-E), then return the code value back to the flow for integration as text in an email. I would then like to populate the appropriate row values for that code at columns B-E.

I've got the flow to parse out the respondent information and create the email with all but the appropriate code, so the Excel work in the middle is my stumbling point.

Anton_Sysoev
Level: Powered On

Hi, @v-yuazh-msft

I have the same question.

How do I update the flow, if I have list of rows with available (unused) codes, so that when the form is filled the next time I get the next available code? I need column with unused  codes as auto-number the "Number" column but with increment last number like NUM0001, NUM0002

Thanks for help

Anton_Sysoev

double

Billy

Hi,

I have a list of codes in a Excel that I want to allocate for each submitted by MS Forms, so only one code per person. 

How would I do this?

2019-01-24_08-16-47.png

Thanks in advance! 

YMTS_00

Has anyone in this thread manage figure out how to implement this properly and if so, could they share it? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 213 members 4,055 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: