cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Marco_Schade
Level: Powered On

Get Rows from Excel error code 423

I have now two flows who suddenly has started to fail due to error code 423 (See below)

Both flows uses the "Get Rows" excel action but it is two different excel sheets they are pulling from.

Any idea how to fix this? 

{
  "status"423,
  "message""Cannot write file to filesource. File is being locked.\r\nclientRequestId: 57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8\r\nserviceRequestId: 57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8",
  "source""excel-we.azconn-we.p.azurewebsites.net"

10 REPLIES 10
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Get Rows from Excel error code 423

Hi @Marco_Schade,

Do the two flows work well before?

The error message says that the file is being blocked. Please make sure the file is closed when you are running the flow.

I made some test on my side. It returned the error code 400 instead of 423.

Please try again later. I am not sure if there are any updates on Excel connector. I will keep an eye on this issue. If you are still having the issue, please feel free post back.

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Marco_Schade

Hi @v-yamao-msft,

Yes the two flows worked before and has been working for some time.

The file is stored on SharePoint and the file was closed while running the flow.

I suspect some sort of update too.

Best regards

Marco Schade

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Marco_Schade,

Thanks for updating.

What’s your current situation?

It seems that you are using Excel Online (business). Could you share a full screenshot of your flow?

From your original post, I assume that you are using Excel action Get rows. While if you are using Excel Online, there is no action of Get rows.

Please share more details, I will help reproduce this issue on my side.

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Marco_Schade

Hi @v-yamao-msft

The flows still fails sporaticaly. It seems very random.

I splited the flow up to see if that helped, but the flow still failes.

2018-09-03_11-07-37.png2018-09-03_11-08-18.png

MatthewGrantAU

Hi,

As per this thread, and many, many other threads on here, I also keep getting Excel files showing error 423 locked by user.

This is clearly a serious problem in the flow/onedrive operation, as many people have similar 'random' lock issues.

I have a Flow that copies an excel file from an FTP source and writes it in Onedrive for Business.  This triggers every 15 minutes.

A second flow reads the Onedrive file every 15 minutes and never writes to it - this second flow never fails. (the read function is always successful). This flow triggers a few minutes after the write flow runs.

The write flow used to run successfully all the time (even triggering every 15min), then started failing randomly 3 out of every 4 runs, or even more. I changed trigger to 30 min in case the lock was not releasing from the previous flow quickly enough, but no change.

The Excel file in Onedrive is NEVER opened by any user.  Only Flow writes to the file. (The users do not even know the file exists) - I set it up this way so the main file the users edit is on the FTP, and the flow simply copies this to Onedrive

I can test open and save it from Excel application and I get no lock error.

There is no logic problem in the flow, as the flow can work successfully.

It seems either Flow is not releasing it's lock after a successful write, and/or Onedrive doesn't auto release the lock quickly enough.

I just went way back through the flow run log and found the exact time this failure started: Aug 31 5.14am

I think the flow ID is 299ee131-ca96-4027-bb90-1e9c949f04f2

Pictures below show the error and the nature of the failures; 1 success then random number of fails until the file 'unlocks' and the flow is successful again. Also shows the constant success and the failures starting on Aug 31.Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 10.28.42.pngdate failures began

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 08.04.01.pngFailure to write to OnedriveScreen Shot 2018-09-10 at 10.21.30.pngRandom 423 error in flow run

thanks, Matt.

frederikbisback

Hello @MatthewGrantAU,

You get the issue when you are using the Excel - Connector.
Using Excel Online for Business for OneDrive For Business and Excel (OneDrive) for OneDrive private will solve your problem. 

I have tested it and I have reproduced the issue:

* Using Excel connector >> Error 423

* Using Excel Online, No problem with locked Excel - file.

I hope this can help you.

Regards,

Frederik Bisback

MatthewGrantAU

@frederikbisback

Yes, I am using Excel Online Business connector and no, the file is not open...( it is only ever accessed by the flow that reads from the table)

It used to work, then some flow update broke it in August.

frederikbisback

@MatthewGrantAU,

Can you send me a screenshot of your flow and details of the Excel (Business)?

Thanks, 

Frederik

MattC_A

There are settings in there for retrying operations like this (in my case, I was trying to use Insert Row).. 

insertrowsettings.png

This looked really promising.. BUT it doesn't actually retry for the 423 locked error 😞 Really frustrating.

I've raised this Idea to get it looked at;

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Excel-retry-options-should-work-with-file-locked-erro...

attitude08980

Hi All,

I don't know if that is the solution, but at least I had that problem "423". At first I had the file only "on-line" in SharePoint and also I tried on OneDrive. But those folders wasn't sync with my PC. 

I tried in one SharePoint Folder sync with my computer and the same Flow works, then I sync the folder where it was the original file and works too.

Hope help you.

@Marco_Schade wrote:

I have now two flows who suddenly has started to fail due to error code 423 (See below)

Both flows uses the "Get Rows" excel action but it is two different excel sheets they are pulling from.

Any idea how to fix this? 

{
  "status"423,
  "message""Cannot write file to filesource. File is being locked.\r\nclientRequestId: 57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8\r\nserviceRequestId: 57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8;57412bfc-8c91-42eb-9a9b-c4d7e9278be8",
  "source""excel-we.azconn-we.p.azurewebsites.net"

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 86 members 5,317 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: