cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jguzmanlozada
Regular Visitor

Get Rows or List??

Greetings!

I did create a simple form and  a Power Automate flow that is supposedly to do the following:

• After the user completes the form, the flow should look for an excel file that contain a list of users
  • Once located the file, the flow will then  look for the row that contains the data of the user that is filling the form
  • Then it should send an email to the user with that info.  

But I cant seem to get the flow to look for the correct key value in the excel file as every time I run the test on the Get a Row action as, that's where it fails.  I have tried the while row's range, a specific row and even tables but I am obviously doing something wrong.

jguzmanlozada_0-1636147843891.pngjguzmanlozada_1-1636147900432.png

The screenshot its only for reference as I only wanted to point where I see it fails.  But the error details is taken from a live test of the flow I have.

I did try List Rows, but then it started to do a never ending email notification chaos with all the entries in the table, as the Apply to any kind of mad a loop.

Any light any of you can shed?  THANKS IN ADVANCE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @jguzmanlozada ,

you can search only 1 value in 1 column. Let's take a few examples:

1. I want to get the row for user Name 2: Key Column = Name, Key Value = Name 2

image.png

2. I want to get the row with ID 3: Key Column = ID, Key Value = 3

image.png

3. I want to get the row for email email1@...: Key Column = Email, Key Value = email1@...

image.png

If you want to filter by more than 1 column/value, then you must 'List rows' to get all of them, and then filter the output using the 'Filter array' action.

[ If I have answered your question, please Accept the post as a solution. ]
[ If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. ]

[ I also blog about Power Automate solutions even for non-IT people. ]

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tom_riha
Super User
Super User

Hello @jguzmanlozada ,

the 'Key Column' and 'Key Value' serve as coordinates for the row you want to get. 'Key Column' is the name of the column. 'Key Value' is a value that it should look for in that column. Once it finds the value in the column, it'll get the row.

jguzmanlozada
Regular Visitor

Thanks Tom!

I appreciate your quick response. I got the Key Colum right, So, the key Value I am searching would be number and emails in each row...hence then, type Number and Email in the Key Value Section?  

I'm sorry, but I am not a coder at all and was "voluntold" for this, so I don't know if typing those as a key value are accepted inputs

Thank you

JM

Hello @jguzmanlozada ,

you can search only 1 value in 1 column. Let's take a few examples:

1. I want to get the row for user Name 2: Key Column = Name, Key Value = Name 2

image.png

2. I want to get the row with ID 3: Key Column = ID, Key Value = 3

image.png

3. I want to get the row for email email1@...: Key Column = Email, Key Value = email1@...

image.png

If you want to filter by more than 1 column/value, then you must 'List rows' to get all of them, and then filter the output using the 'Filter array' action.

jguzmanlozada
Regular Visitor

Thanks Tom!

With that explained, then I must change the approach because "Get a Row" is not the issue, but to make each of my users  to find their row value individually.  You clarified me, when you mentioned that you can only search 1 value in 1 column.  After I got this right by using the right key value, then I must use other connectors such as "Get Profile" so the flow can identify which user is responding to the form, and get the value that corresponds to his email.

Appreciated! I think I got it.  If not I will open another case but this one is solved!!

JM

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,818)