cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kochav
Frequent Visitor

Get initiatior of preceding flow

Hi all,

I just started to use Power Automate so I hope my question will be easy to answer for you, experienced users. 🙂

I have created a sequential approval flow triggered by files created in specific Teams (SharePoint) folders.

It turned out that it might be too much to ask the future requestors to select the corresponding folders so I have created a form from which a flow extracts the information necessary for defining which folder it should be moved to, moves it together with the attachment to a SharePoint list, and finally it creates (copies) the attachment in the selected destination folder, thus triggering the approval flow.

Now, my issue is, that there can be various people submitting to various folders based on the form responses, however, this way the file triggering the flow will always "be" created by myself.

As a result, all corresponding emails and notifications will get back to me. I would like to get the initial initiator and switch myself to them for correspondence. 

How could I achieve that?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
efialttes
Super User III
Super User III

Hi!

So, your flow creates (copies) the attachment in the selected destination folder with your credentials, meaning Created By and Modified By points to you; and you would like the file to be stored with someone else credentials, right?

If so, one possible approach is to use a manual trigger to start the process:

• if the trigger is an automated one: “When an File is created” this one runs on the connection of the owner of the flow only. The user connection cannot be configured here.
  • If the trigger is a manual type: “For a selected File” for this you can configure run as users from the flow details page and then configure the connections that are provided for each action (it can be configured to the users connection or the owners connection)

Another possible approach: In this article from John Liu you will find a solution to change the modified by and modified column values. I believe you can adapt this method to change created column value.

Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

kochav
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the prompt response @efialttes! I will dive into it and get back to you. 🙂

kochav
Frequent Visitor

Soooooo, thanks again for your response, after studying the possibilities, finally I decided to build a complete new E2E flow so that I could avoid this part and stick with complete automation from the form through initiating subsequent operations. 

Not sure if this was indeed the best solution but it worked best for me. 🙂

Thank you

Hi!

Glad to hear you find your way. Now, my humble suggestion is:

1.-Mark this topic as "Solved" by clicking "Accept as a solution". This way other community members facing this same problem in the future have the chance to find a solution faster. Please note you can even select several replies as as 'Solution', even from different community members, also you can select your own response

Flow_AcceptSolution.png

2.- (OPTIONAL) Click on 'Thumbs up' in any answer you found valuable.

Flow_thumbsUp.png

Even though this 2nd step is OPTIONAL, please remember it is the cheapest, easiest way to say thanks to somebody that simply tried to help. And just between you and me, everytime an inspiring answer receive a kudo, an ewok escapes from The Emperor menace  😉

Thanx for your contribution to keep this community great!

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Users online (22,484)