Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
demondan
Helper I
Helper I

Get items from sharepoint with column data only

Hi

I have a simple list (single column) I am extracting from sharepoint and putting into an array variable in Flow.  I've noticed that each item is extracted as a record with a bunch of data I dont need.  Such as author information, created/modified etc, I only want the Title information.  How do I stop it extracting all this unnecessary information?

thanks!

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @demondan ,

Please try to use the following configuration.

You could use Select action to extract the specified column.

Or you could use variable to extract field values.

Image reference:

148.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Use DropColumns() to remove the columns you don't want.  You can also use a view to restrict some of the additional columns

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-table-shaping

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

How do i use DropColumns - presumably I put it in the filter query part of the sharepoint 'get items'.  I type DropColumns in and its not recognised.  Should it be used as part of a more complex query?

Sorry Im new to flow - trying to figure it out as I go!

thanks

Dan

Sorry, I need to shift gears. DropColumns() is one of those functions that only works in PowerApps.  For Flow you can limit columns somewhat by supplying a View from the list to limit which column values are included.  But you'll probably need to build your array using a Loop and append the field you want to the array as you loop through the items.

Hi @demondan,

I had a similar experience and this post helped me solve it: Re: Selecting columns from array

Let me know if this helps you or if you have any difficulties!

v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @demondan ,

Please try to use the following configuration.

You could use Select action to extract the specified column.

Or you could use variable to extract field values.

Image reference:

148.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks everyone, managed it!  Im marking v-baco-msft's post as the solution but all the info provided was really helpful!

cheers

Dan

Hi

Sorry I know i've marked this as answered but I have a further question.  I've managed to strip out all the data i dont want and I end up with an array of the format:

{"Title": "string1"},{"Title": "string2"},{"Title": "string3"}

I feel like im being stupid but ideally i dont want the "Titles" in there either.  I just want the string data, is there an easy way of doing this, I guess i could take each element out and do a split on ":" and extract the second half?  Is there a better way?

thanks

Dan

zYx
Frequent Visitor

@demondan did you manage to find a way to do this quickly?

If you want them in a string without the "Title": Then change the Append to an Array variable to Append to a String variable and just input the Title dynamic content and any delimiter punctuation you want.

What is the "value" value and what is "Title" for? Is the "value" the name of the column or its value? And no way to add name to "Append array to variable".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,415)