cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZLucid
Level: Power Up

Get the first working day of the month

Hi, all! Cat Happy

I have a requierement in which my flow should be trigger every first (third and fifth) working day of the current month.

For example, in May the flow should run on the 2nd of May, since the 1st is a holiday. Please note that this has to be in accordance with the regional holidays. 

Is this functionality available in Flow?, if not, is there a workaround? Or is it just completely impossible to achieve so far in Flow? 

Thank you! Cat Very Happy

8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

Re: Get the first working day of the month

There isn't an easy way to get this done at the moment. Without any coding you could potentially make use of webservices out there that give you the next working day and use a HTTP action to connect into those services.

DLGross
Level 8

A possible workaround would be to create a Calendar in Sharepoint, enter the holidays and other days that you need to keep track of, then in the Flow use the DateUTC function and compare it to the reference calendar to see if it contains an event. I haven't tried this in flow, but this approach is commonly done in database reporting

Dean Gross

Office 365- MSCA
SharePoint - MCSE
Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ZLucid,

Do you want your flow to be fired every first (third and fifth) working day of the currently?

There is no way to check if the current day is a holiday in Microsoft Flow, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

In addition, I agree with @DLGross's thought almost, you could consider take a try to create a Calendar event list in your SharePoint and enter these holidays and weekends into it. Then compare current day with the Start date of these holidays and weekends within the SharePoint calendar event, check if current day is included in the SharePoint calendar event list. You should use the "Recurrence" trigger as the trigger of your flow.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ZLucid
Level: Power Up

Hi @v-xida-msft

Let me check if I understand correctly, in order to get the first working day of a month (or third or fifth), i should add them first to a list and (recurrently) compare the current day with the elements on the list, right? I understand how the Calendar will help me to get the holidays and weekends out, but i dont really understant how can that help me to get the first working day of a month. 😞 

And currently there is no "out-of-the-box" solution for it in Flow, right? 

Regards,

Super User
Super User

Please have a look at my latest blog post about getting the first working day. 

https://veenstra.me.uk/2018/05/08/office-365-microsoft-flow-get-the-first-working-day-of-the-month/

rupach
Level: Powered On

Hi Pieter,

Could you please help me with the webservice which gives first working day in a current month .?

The link you have provided in the solution was no longer available

Thanks

RupaCh 

DLGross
Level 8

RupaCh, his link still works for me.

Dean Gross

Office 365- MSCA
SharePoint - MCSE
Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
rupach
Level: Powered On

I am not able to :(..

I am seeing below message...

Could you please help me to find an solution  " Getting the First working day of the month " in microsoft work flows...

URL-Not Found.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 146 members 4,927 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: